Comcast Cable as ISP and access to Internet

dirty old man

Registered
Anybody using Comcast Cable as your ISP and also cable access? If so,how do you like their service, rates, etc.?

I ask because Comcast has bought out Insight, the cable provider here in Griffin, GA. They have been doing a major upgrade of the system, fiber optics, etc.

The word is that they are going to be offering a package deal soon on cable {digital or analog}, Internet access, and ISP.

I would like to hear the pro's and con's from those who have this service from Comcast when they do offer it.

RE: Comcast Cable as ISP and access to Internet

I've got Comcast and don't have any complaints. Maybe I don't know enough about it to complain (LOL). However I've had dial-ups, and digital through the phone company and I do know that the cable is faster and works best for me.

** Bill **
1995 LSC-R'ed w/Recaro's and Cobra R's
Veteran of Carlisle 2000/01/02/03
[a href=//cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=258112]For Pic's and Mods click here[/a]

...Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself....

I have Comcast for both Internet and Cable TV. They were really terrible in my area for internet, TV was awesome. But, recently they acquired AT&T Broadband and internet speed picked up. Right now they claim 1.5 down and 256 up im my area. Im in Bucks County, PA, and in my opinion the upload is more important to the down load. Many companys offer comparable downloads so it is not hard to find, but the upload is hard to come by. Check out www.dslreports.com for ISP reviews in your area.

I have 'em, but my dad pays. I like the service, can't comment on cost.

I have them as well and they are good.

I just switched from Comcast to DSL - mainly because of the fact that cable speed varies too much around here - depending on the time of day - and DSL is rock solid at the speed purchased.

Also - if the cable "goes out" so does the Internet - leaving me with nothing to do. Rarely does both cable and telephone go out at the same time.

Lastly - SBC / DSL now has a "do-all" router that offers in home Ethernet / Wireless / and telephone line networking - all in the same box. Makes it easy to hook up a bunch of computers in various places in the house.

I have comcast cable, internet and phone.

Regarding internet. They are a big improvement over at&t as far as service and overall package. I am quite satisfied. Cost is about $45 a month and includes everything you need to access the internet. Speed will vary based on your area but I ahve always found cable to be the fastest.

One headache --- having phone cable and internet through one company --- if it goes down, it ALL goes down.

Hi you DOM,
I've been using Comcast for well over a year now and love it. Got it for both TV and Internet access. Speed is great and outages are rare. Am lucky here tho...whole community has underground wiring, no overhead allowed. It really cuts down on outages...no one can knock down the phone poles! Prices are very competitive. I have DSL at work and I'd rather have the cable access. Hint tho....buy your own cable modem or make a free modem deal with Circuit City or someplace. Price remains the same if you purchase from Comcast or Circuit City, but if you get the modem from Comcast, you'll pay rent on it forever.

I am really curious about the whole Cable Telephone (VOIP). I am currently running a Cisco router on Comcast's network over here. The router has a buit in cable modem so I do not pay rent on the modem. All I had to do was give them my MAC address so I can authenticate on their network. You can go out and buy a linksys or motorola or whatever and they will walk you through connecting it.

Back