Help picking a camcorder

johnaec

Registered
I'm totally new to the camcorder scene, but want to pick up an inexpensive one before leaving on vacation in a week. Other than vacation, I don't see me using it a lot, so I really want an inexpensive, no frills version.

My main question is about the different formats. I see Hi8, SuperVHS-C, and Mini-CVD format. I'm assuming Mini DVD records those little DVD disks, and can be played back in a standard DVD player or DVD in the computer?

Super-VHS-C sounds like it plays in VHS decks, but I assume it has to go into some kind of adapetr, since standard size VHS tapes obviously don't fit in the camcorder.

Hi-8 is a total mystery to me. How does one play these back?

Which of the above formats provide the highest video quality? And which are likely to provide the longest battery life?

I'd really appreciate any suggestions, since this is totally new territory for me. I see a lot of different ones on sale between $250 and $400, which is where I'd like to stay, (remember - I'm looking for simple entry level). Any suggestions on specific brands or models would also be appreciated.

Thanks for any info!

John
http://mark8.org/users/johnaec/Mark_VIII_s.jpg
'97 Mark VIII LSC
'96 T-Bird 4.6L

RE: Help picking a camcorder

This will get you started with the formats at least :)
[link:electronics.howstuffworks.com/camcorder4.htm|How Stuff Works - Camcorder Formats]

Back