Access Denied message !!!

Mad1stGen

Registered
I have this really annoying problem with XP Pro. I have a folder that I'm trying to delete, it's empty, and not in use, YET XP gives me this message that the folder is not accessible - thus Access Denied. I'm ready to quickformat the drive, but maybe there is another way to fix this ... Thanx.

RE: Access Denied message !!!

Try changing the name of the folder - or move it to another directory.

Also - you might try logging in as anyone else that may have used your machine - or as ADMINISTRATOR. Check and see if there's any other USERS listed.

Sometimes a program might not let go of a file/folder even though you exited and closed out. I would try a reboot and see what happens. What kind or folder is it? Did you create it or was it created during the install of a program? Also try right clicking on it and make sure that the read-only attribute is not checked.

Reboot might work, but recently I had the same problem and a reboot didn't fix it. I had to logon under safe mode and delete the folder.

In XP it's START> RUN and type "msconfig" in the text box. Under the BOOT.INI tab, there is an option named SAFEBOOT. Check it and you'll be in safe mode next time you restart. You have to uncheck it to get back into normal boot mode.

Kale

I created this folder a long time ago. I tried erasing it under safe mode, but no luck. I tried changing attributes - no luck. I even tried the old trick of erasing it from Nero Burning ROM, but same thing - Access denied.

I have too much stuff on the drive now, but the folder is still there. Nothing changed. I am getting another HD, so I'll move the stuff soon and then format the hell out of it ...hehehe

Back