HDD size (Is bigger really better)

RE: HDD size (Is bigger really better)

I don't think they are misrepresented, you lose capacity when you format the drive due to the over head of the file system. In decimal a kilobyte has 1,024 bytes (would be 1111111111 in binary, note, the zero value is counted), a megabyte has 1,048,576 bytes and a gigabyte has 1073741824 bytes. But what the HD manufactures do now is use the decimal value. So they say that one kilobyte has 1,000 bytes and not 1,024. E.G.: they say that a drive is 800 meg (decimal), but in binary it is only 763 meg. The way they did it in the old days was that an 800 meg drive (binary) was really 838 meg decimal, so when you added in the over head your usable space was close to what was advertised.

The same thing happened with CTRs, they would say 17", but you had 16.2" viewable. Now they have to tell you the viewable. My guess is they will have to list the typical formatted capacity (depending on the OS) in small print on the HD boxes going forwarded.

I think there might be a false advertising case here since they are going with the decimal system and especially beacuse the PC's interpret it as decimal too. In the larger drives 100+ gig's that is where you really lose out on space, jeez!

i thought it was because companies round up, and consider 1mb = 1000KB when its really 1024. could be wrong.

Back