Need some PC help.

Ponyfreak

Registered
I have a PC that when you push the button a green light comes on the front of the computer, but nothing else happens. THe processor ffan does not come on, the power supple fan does not come on, it makes no noises, nothing. I thought it was the power supply, so I got a new one and put it in. Same results.

I am thinking it is a hardware problem, most probably the mobo.

Does this seem correct? If so I am looking to purchase a mobo. This is jsut a computer that my mother uses to type on and surf the web. There is no gamming being done on this computer, but I am wanting something reliable. I am also wanting to keep the same processor and RAM. IT has two sticks of 256mB 133mghrz Ram and a AMD 1457mghrz processor. What mobo do you guys suggest?

What else do you suggest? thanks ahead of time!

RE: Need some PC help.

If it's the motherboard, I recommend an ASUS mobo. It's a "namebrand" board, so you will pay a little more for it than some others, but the quality is very good. Get one(which ever brand you get) to match your paticular AMD chip with the 133 bus speed you mentioned. If you need sound and graphics built on the board get that too. If you have seperate sound and/or graphics you MAY need to update your drivers for a new board. I recommend www.pricewatch.com for lowest prices on web. You may want to visit the manufacturer's website (given on pricewatch site) to match specific needs to a specific mobo model, then start shopping. Hope this helps.

Whatever you do get, take into consideration what you use the computer for most. Gaming requires one thing and email and household finances require soemthing else. Good luck.

ECS K7S5A. They are like $50 on price watch. You you can swap all your existing parts over. I've used this board about 10 times and never had a problem.

In trouble shooting the problem, I would try removing components and see if it gets any better. I could be a bad component/connection. Try pulling and reseating the memory, processor and video card. Also check that all the front panel case connectors are firmly affixed to the mobo.

I've had this problem a few times, but it was always the power supply.

Scott

I was ready to take a computer in for repair once when I realized the keyboard was unplugged.

You can get a cheap power supply tester to check the power supply, but if the fans are not on I truly suspect the power supply. Is there power going to the floppy and optical drives(lights should come on when trying to boot)? BTW the drives have 5VDC and 12VDC. Most fans will be 12VDC.

If it proves to be the motherboard, I recommend Asus.

guys I tried everything, checked every connection, plug in ect. I push the button on the front of the tower, a green light comes on, and that is it. Nothing else will come on. Put another power supple out of another computer that worked and did the same thing. It does not try to boot or anything. Acts like my other computer did when its mobo went out. It does nothing. The only difference is when the mobo went out on my old computer it killed the power supplies and this one does not. THey still work after you put them in this computer. I am thinking mobo. I will try to hunt one down off of price watch.

Scott do you think the ECS K7s5a will work with the processor and RAM i have? IF I jsut change the mobo out will The windows XP work jsut fine with it? Or will I have to reconfigure some stuff?

Again thanks

Maybe a long shot, but try another power switch. I helped build a PC for my son and believe it or not the power switch was defective. I swapped the leads to the powerswitch and reset switch at the motherboard accessory terminal strip and wala!... press the 'reset' button and the PC booted.

In regard to the MoBo, XP should pick up all the devices and configure them for you - you should not have a problem.

If you do, the mobo comes with a driver cd, though when I built an XP system with the S5A about 2 weeks ago i didn't need it.

the S5A is a Socket A motherboard. 1457mhz sounds like a socket processor (athlon-duron-thuderbird. You shouldn't have a problem.

Scott

Did the new (from the working computer) power supply fan start spinning when it was put into the down PC? Did you try the bad power supply in the working PC? Did it work in there? I have seen the bad button too, but you are getting the green light so it is trying to do its thing. Does that MB need the power supply to connect directly to it? MSI has a pretty cool MB out there - it can be set to automatically overclock the PC when it is in demand... Let me know how you make out!

Back