Speculating '97 MarkVIII - Need Input

Tommykwikstep

Registered
These forums seem full of very tenured MarkVIII owners! Please Read and comment!

PROS
I stumbled upon a '97 with 43.4k original. It's grey int/silver paint with a black cloth top.

I drove it...handles nicely - drives straight down the road - even straight while braking.

I listened to the engine...nothing out of the ordinary.

I punched the gas and mashed the breaks....everything reacted as it should. I even spun the tires at a red to green light.

AC feels cool - interior is 8.5 out of 10. All the leather is very intact and in 9/10 shape.

Didn't get to play with ALL the electronic gadgets. Will before I buy. Everything worked that I tinkered with.

I'm feeling very confident in buying this car at this point. I think I'm getting a very good price for such a low mileage model.

Exterior has no major blemishes. Rims look 8 out of 10.

CONS
Carfax says 4 years as a corporate fleet lease, 4 years private ownership under 2 owners. Florida car for 98% of ownership. No reported accidents (doubt that means much). Please give your comment on this type of history(!)

Stearing wheel was ever so slightly off center while driving down the road. At first I thought I was being paranoid...but it tilts to the right somewhere less than 10degrees.

Please, give me things to look for. I've absorbed so much from these forums already - and am feeling more&more confident every minute. I have to decide soon - any input helps!

Thx in advance!

Thomas

RE: Speculating '97 MarkVIII - Need Input

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Please? Any suggestions, insights, general advice?
[/div]

Looks good...depends on the price...and if it is an LSC or not.

Hey thx for the input. It's not an LSC. And I was tad bit disappointed that it had a cloth top instead of a sunroof like the add picture showed.

However, after I researched Kelly BB, and all the various nationwide classifieds for both 97&98 MarkVIII's I found that it's somewhat rare for it's low mileage and very well priced for the condition it's in.

I could see myself really falling in love with the car - but I'm not a fix it yourself type. I was hoping for some advice on what to check for.

Transmission question: I've read the info on Marcom (spelled right?) fluid recommended. Are there any specific things I can do to check to see how strong/sound the tranny in this vehicle?

Thx all.

Welcome! :)

Well, it sounds good. But for specific things to check, please review the FAQ and tech sections via the home page.

"Mercon V" is the 'official' transmission fluid name.

One of the best resources for transmission tech info is on www.tccoa.com pages since the MN12 model T-bird shared the same tranny.

The transmission should shift smoothly with no hesitation or jerky shifts, after all, it is a Lincoln. ;)

I remember when I first got my '93, I could only tell the car was running and/or shifting by the tachometer display.

Smooth, seamless and quiet.

Now everytime I drive it, it smokes like hell, makes loud noises and shifts so hard it snaps your neck(see sig pic). }( :+ }(

Make sure that the blend door works properly. You say it already cools well...also make sure that it heats well too. Run the temp in the automatic mode from low to high with an up to normal engine temp. Air temp should be cold at low temp and go to hot as hell at top end, them lower it again down to below ambient outside air temp. Make sure that it too follows from hot to cold...hopefully it isn't too cold outside where you are to do this.

Bud Pytko
'97 LSC Silver Frost
'05 F250 SD CC PSD 4 X 4 AZ Beige
'94 Prowler 5th Wheel
http://squarebirds.org/images/BudPytko97LSC.jpg

Awesome guys. Thx so much for the input. I read the thread about the guy who couldn't get his cooling/heating working as it should. I'm going to take my time after work and put it through the paces.

This car seems to have 4 wheel discs. with 44k, should I be checking for rotor wear? I saw that a whole break job on this car runs around 350. (you guys probably do all your own brakes anyways). I think i want to tell this dealership to throw new pads on it for me to buy. The breaks seem a little squishy...but I drive a Mazda 6 Sport - so not a good comparison there.

I always check the consistency of the tranny fluid - smell it and what not. It shifted flawlessly - I too had to watch the Tach to see when she's shifting.

Are there any parts on the chassis or engine to particularly inspect? I read a thread about the control bar towards the rear - it's hollow and is prone to rusting through....this is a southern car..don't know if it should be a concern.

Thx so much all! I'll keep checking back...should be going to make the final decision around 7-8pm EST tonight.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
with 44k, should I be checking for rotor wear? I saw that a whole break job on this car runs around 350. (you guys probably do all your own brakes anyways). I think i want to tell this dealership to throw new pads on it for me to buy.
[/div]

That should always be checked before purchasing a car, however at 44K they shouldn't be worn out. And brake jobs are easy on this car. Some popular (non-high performance) pads are the ceramic pads from NAPA. ~$70 and 1-2 hours of your time will suffice.

If purchasing from a dealer, $7,300 give or take would be a decent price.

Logres. You might have sealed the deal. I don't know what my final price will be after tax/tag since I'm going to make a counter offer.

The number you stated was significantly higher than what I'm looking at.

Thx! all for your input. I'm about 85% sure I'm going to be a Mark VIII owner tonight.

Any last minute suggestions will be seen before I leave for the dealership.

I'm excited!

Regards,

Thomas

Here's a little update on my 97 Mark.

Went to the dealership - went through all the checks I had planned to.

Two things came up. Please give feedback as to how serious or non-serious these issues are.

1. Cruise Control did NOT work. I hit the ON button and nothing lit up on the dash or LED readout center-dash.

2. The serpentine belt shows a fair amount of wear on the inside (towards the block) as if it was rubbing on something. This was a concern for me as I planned on driving this car on a 8 1/2 hour round trip to see relatives over Christmas.
a. How or why would the belt wear like this?
- Is this a cause for greater concern?
b. Is the drive belt an expensive replacement? (I would NOT do it myself.
c. Wouldn't this belt be changed during regular maintenance? Say 35k?
d. Wouldn't a dealer's mechanic see such an obvious blemish on an overall very clean very sound engine?

I did not purchase the vehicle. The dealer said he was going to have his mechanic look in to both items and get back to me tomorrow. If he can fix it for a few hundred - it's done. If not, I would have to buy as is.

I was a little pissed when I made a counter offer for 500 less than asking price - which the manager took without hesitation. Then I notice a 598.00 dealer fee on the paperwork.
BUYING A CAR IN SOUTH FLORIDA SUCKS! (new or used)

My overall feeling about the car is very good. My overall feeling about the bottom feeder sales people and finance manager is VERY BAD.

Comments Suggestions?

"1. Cruise Control did NOT work. I hit the ON button and nothing lit up on the dash or LED readout center-dash. "

Did you also push the "SET" button on the opposite side of the steering wheel? To use cruise, you tutn the cruise on with the top button on left side of wheel - you engage cruise at speed with the MIDDLE button on right side of steering wheel. Then and only then will the light show up in the dash.

Bud Pytko
'97 LSC Silver Frost
'94 Prowler 5th Wheel

Bud,

Thank you for your prompt reply. After reading your post, I was indeed using the cruise incorrectly. I was simply looking for a light to come on when I hit the ON button on the left side of the wheel. I did not bother to hit SET since it wasn't acknowledging that it was ON.

DOH! I guess I'm too use to my Mazda.

Any input on the serpentine belt? Has anyone see irregular wear on the inside of the belt? I would really like to tell the dealer to install a new one - it can't cost him much.

Thx ALL. I'm very grateful for your input. I just read through the FAQ for like the umpteenth time.

If the wear on the belt is the only thing holding up the sale, I believe that you will be the proud owner of a Mark VIII. The dealer shouldn't even say anything but "SOLD" as they install the new belt.

BTW, the belt on my '97 hasn't ever been changed that I know of...maybe before I owned it. Bought with about 87,000 on it...now has about 120,000.

Bud Pytko
'97 LSC Silver Frost
'94 Prowler 5th Wheel

I would suspect the belt tensioner. But at a minimum if it worries you, ask for a new belt. It's cheap enough and only takes a minute, so I doubt they'll resist much.

The heat/AC test go OK? How 'bout any driveline vibration? You may need to hit 80 or more to tell - look for the rear view mirror to vibrate first.

Awesome replies guys....my heart rate is going up with the good news you bring.

The HVAC all got put through the tests. The salesman was ready to strangle me as I played with every single friggin setting and temp it could produce. I did notice a slight noise I would call a raspy whistling when the MAX AC setting is engaged. It's noticeable but not overbearing and the AC gets COLD.

I gave it a nice long test drive last night. I took it out on I95 for a 2.5 mile run to the next exit. It was however still evening rush hour and it was a little congested to get a nice long sprint over 80MPH. I got it up to 90 for a short period and had to come back down.

I did not notice any major vibration and it seemed the like the tranny stayed engaged. (i read the faq about it feeling like it shimmies into neutral briefly).

I scoured the pavement for leaks from anything. but it rained earlier this evening making it difficult to notice oil or tranny fluid.

So I'm going to call the dealer and make sure they know the trick about the Cruise Control - and request a new belt and pick it up after work.

You guys (& this forum) ROCKS!

Thx again,

Thomas

I'll be posting lots of pics...as I can't believe what a following this car has. I googled and went NO SH(*(*t when I saw this and some other websites.

This baby looks just like yours Bud - with a black cloth top (sorry for my bad terminology). It has the same rims - although yours look chrome where mine looks more metallic (perhaps the diff between LSC and base?).

I really hate the stereo deck that is in it. The power button has malfunctioned and it's difficult to turn the radio on/off.

My brain is whirring with possibilities for this car.

I see a upgraded stereo deck in my near future - I'm going to need some major tunage as I roll in my couch on wheels!

The rims are not my favorites - but I'm looking for a low mileage vehicle that will require very little $$$ as I drive. So the rims are not a huge priority.

Right now I'm just a novice trying to make a sound decision with my $$$ trying to negotiate with a sales manager who makes his money on fast talking and back-end dealer fees.

This is great that I can get info from all of you, I don't really have a source for such good info otherwise.

Also worth mentioning - since I've gotten some very good info from you guys. My profession is in IT. Meaning I'm as good with computers and related equipment as you guys are with cars.

If I can assist with anything on the computer/electronics/audio/video ect ect. Just drop me a line.

Back