Trans leak

Johnnysrx

Registered
Okay I changed my trans fluid about a month ago. Now I have a leak but I think I found where the leak is coming from. I think it is coming from the filler tube. Is this a common problem and if so how the heck do you fix it. I looked all around and I saw one bracket that looked impossiable to get at. Is there a trick or an easy fix for this leak.
Thanks

Yes I think that is what it is, but how do you change it and get at it??? Just by looking at it, it looked impossable to get at.
Thanks

It's a 10mm bolt that holds it to the back of the head.
Use a swivel socket and 24" or so extensions. You can drop the exhaust to have better access. Definitely very doable on jackstands. Make sure you have less than full trans or the fluid will come out once you pull the tube out. Lube the replacement o-ring before reinstallation.

I think it is coming from the filler tube.

Probably the o-ring gasket.

Thanks for the input Serge!(WTF?)

Thanks Jeremi for helping the people out that can't type, lol.

Only thing I can recommend is set the parking brake and jack the front up as high as SAFELY possible, that way all the fluid in the pan will be at the back of the trans. Regardless you're going to get ATF on your head.

Remove that bolt and use a long prybar to "pop" up the dipstick tube AT the bracket, and just like Jeremi said, install some grease or WD-40 all over that o-ring to get is nice and slippery. It may also help to tap on the top of the dipstick tube when installing in order to line up the bracket with the bolt hole.

Last edited:
Do you guys think this job would be easier done on a car lift or on jack stands? I do have access to a car lift that is in my friends shop. Thanks for all the replys

Lift all the way! That way you can actually see where your trying to send your 3 foot extention with a wobbly on the end! haha

Back