Squeaking front end

Welcome! :)

When my '93 squeaked intermittently, it turned out to be the ball joints.

Enlighten us a bit......

Squeek over bumps?
Squeek while turning?
Squeek under braking?
Squeek while going around a freeway onramp?
Squeek while running over a dog toy?
Squeek at around 5am when all the birds are chirping?
Squeek after you do a burn out?

Anything ringing a bell? :D

When driving slow, turning, stopping, getting in and out, early in the morning, late at night, in the middle of the day, but not when going fast.

Wow, that doesn't help at all. Haha. Sounds like shocks and lower control arms.

The majority of the people I talk too said either ball joints of control arms. Screw it I might as well just replace it all.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ball joints will squeek while turning, but not usually over bumps, or something as simple as getting in/out.

I would suggest getting the T-Bird(98 year) LOWER control arms on RockAuto.com and start there, this will require an alignment afterwards.

If you wanna go all out, order the t-bird lowers, mark 8 upper control arms, and one strut rod to k member bushing kit, and one strut rod to lower control arm bushing kit. Than....get an alignment. You can also replace your tie rod ends if you want.

looks like I am resurecting an old thread, but I am planning on doing this same work. I checked rock auto for the '98 T-bird LCA but nothing is listed. Am I supposed ot use the '97 T-Bird LCA?

Also, doe the strut rod need to be changed or is just changing the bushings good enough?

I need an alignment and have 95,000 miles. Fugure I might as well do it all now.

Also, should I change out the inner and outer tie rod ends while I am at it?

They didn't make a T Bird in 98. I'm not sure if they did in 97 but if it's available it will fit. They are the the same back to 93 at least.

The strut rod bushings are all you should need as the rods don't really wear out. I'd recommend original equipment rubber parts for this.

The tie rod ends are easy to check. Have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth and look for play in the tie rod ends.

That is what I thought about the 98tbird, just was not sure. I will check the tie rods tomorrow.

I saw some of the old posts that talk about not using the blue thermoplastic bushings. Rockauto has some bushings from spicer that they classify as profesional grade which look like black OEM rubber in the picture. Do you know anything about these?

I've got a squeaking coming from my front end whenever I'm moving, except for when I'm breaking, then there's no noise. I was told by my first mechanic that it was my wheel bearings getting worn down, but I wanted confirmation before I had them replaced.

If braking changes the fact that its screeking, than you're having issues with your brakes. Most likely its the metal sensor telling you your pads are worn, it is very common for this to squeek until pressure is applied.

I recommend removing the wheel on the squeeky side, and inspecting the thickness on the brake pads.

Hmmm....but the squeeking stops when you press on the brakes?

Who did your brakes, and what quality of pads did they use? Did the bed in the brakes afterwards? Did the squeeking stop for a period of time?

Squeaking didn't stop for any period of time. The new brakes were put on by a Ford dealership, and they used Motorcraft pads.

Back