Need opinions from the audio experts...

logres

Registered
My Audiobahn amp is dying (it wasn't very good to begin with), so I am in the market for a new one. Which brands are in your top ten in terms of sound quality, reliability, and consistancy (have not put out a bad or mediocre product in the past)? I've included some brands below for reference. Price should not be considered, and feel free to add any brand that I may have missed.

Alpine
Audiobahn
Blaupunkt
Boss
Boston Acoustics
Clarion
Diamond Audio
Eclipse
Hifonics
Infinity
JBL
JL Audio
Kenwood
Kicker
Lanzar
Legacy
MA Audio
Memphis
MTX
Nakamichi
Orion
Phoenix Gold
Pioneer
Power Acoustic
Precision Power
Pyle
Pyramid
Rockford Fosgate
Sony
Sound Storm
Soundstream
Visonik
Volfenhag
Xtant

Thanks for your help!

If you want top end, I would say JL would be your choice, good s/n ration and low distortion. Really it all about how much you want to spend on an amp and what you are using it for.

Amps are like girlfriends..... not every girl is for every guy. What are you powering? And as said above, how much do you want to spend?

I can go up to $1000 - I am powering 4 identical 100w RMS 6x8 mid-range/tweeter speakers. I'd like "top tens" so that I can shop each brand. Again, I'm just trying to avoid poor and average units. I'll ask for opinions on an exact model once my brand list is complete and I shop around and find one I like.

Last edited:
Then my suggestions are:

JL Audio
Alpine
MTX

Or you could try and find the good old skool amps like I do:

Orion
Hifonics
Pioneer

Last edited:
Then my suggestions are:

JL Audio
Alpine
MTX

Or you could try and find the good old skool amps like I do:

Orion
Hifonics
Pioneer

By old skool, do you mean no longer in production, or they are hard to find, or they used to be good, but not anymore?

Thanks.

I do not believe so, JL Audio is based out of Florida, I think JBL is out of Cali and is from "© 2007 Harman International Industries, Incorporated. All rights reserved."

Last edited:
Also, it might not be a bad idea just to look on a couple of car audio mag sites and see what the reviews are on amps, you can look for 2 ways to do this one 4-channel amp or two 2-channel amps.

Also, it might not be a bad idea just to look on a couple of car audio mag sites and see what the reviews are on amps, you can look for 2 ways to do this one 4-channel amp or two 2-channel amps.

Hey...good idea.

But tell me, everything else being equal, which route is generally cheaper: a 4 channel amp or two 2 channel amps?

Wayne....are you running the factory front speakers and an amp for only the subs?

The reason I ask is I use my factory speakers for the HIGHS and use the amp for my 15" Alpine only. The factory speakers work great for the mids/highs if you can use a crossover setup for the sub, it should sound awesome.

Well it depends on what you plan on doing, Im going to be running 3 amps total in my setup, one 2 channel for the tweeters, 1 for the mids in the front and then one bridged to run my 12" sub.

Now as for what is cheaper, probably the 4-channel, but the two 2 channel amps will allow for more expansion in the future if you decide to upgrade anymore. IMHO

Nice Sig Matt...did you finally become a member? :D That top left picture look familiar.

I am all about kicker old school amps, still made in the USA. The new crap is all made in china and over-rated literally.

But out of everything new that is "mainstream" I would go with JBL for interior speakers or JL audio.

Back