Some reasons to own a C5 Corvette and not to own a Corvette (my opinion only)

maxmk8

Registered
I know that there are quite a few Mark VIII members that have a Corvette while others don't or would like to know some things about it. As with any car there are many ups and downs. I wanted to post this for some of you so that it can serve as a reference...

Let me preface this with the fact that I don't think any car is the BEST car in the world nor do I value something much over something else, they all have their ups and downs.

First the bad:

Driveability issues: Car is very low, this creates tons of potential hazards.

The runflats (stock) are TERRIBLE tires and they are VERY loud on the freeway, this car requires a raised voice on the freeway in comparison to the Mark VIII. They also significantly deteriorate the ride quality... You can CRACK yes CRACK rims very easily due to the stiff sidewalls, and extreme caution in required.

Daily Driver Status: Car is hard to have as a daily driver because of the ride-height and the two seats, which doesn't leave much space.
Also getting in and out of the car could be a problem with weak knees and or joints.

Stock Headlights: Pretty dim, dimmer than Gen II headlights, but I just installed HIDs for $150... not bad 100% improvement.

Turning radius: This car's turning radius is HUGE, if you thought the mark VIII is bad (and it kind of is in comparison to my E36 BMW) the Vette is even worse!!!

Huge blindspot on the coupe. On the left, some may think hey this guy doens't know what he is talking about or his mirrors are adjusted wrong. Nope, it just happens if you're tall and drive a vette. The huge pillar is exactly in the blind spot.

The car is very hard to keep clean.... I have to dust mine every day, it shows dirt like crazy... Depends on the color of course.

That said here are the ups:

Power: Don't need to say much here, this car has MAD power.... stock it is around 350 and 37X pound feet of torque. this car weighs 3200#s...

Mod Potential: Virtually limitless, you add a cam which isn't very hard and you're probably in the high 300s to the rear wheels, cam, headers and intake you're probably around 450... not too expensive either.

Handling: Emm the stiff ride on the Z06 suspension has it's trade offs.

Car recognition: A lot of people know what it is, and most really like the car.

Insurance: Not as bad as one thinks... only 20$ a month more for the Vette over my Mark VIII. $80 for full coverage at 50/100/50

Gas: Well at around 80mph this car is at 1600 rpms in 6th gear. When I bought the car in LA and drove it back here, I got 30.5mpg and never had to stop for gas 350 mile trip, once I got back I drove it for another 100 miles before I got gas. This car gets insane freeway gas mileage. I also average about 25% better than I did in my mark VIII.

Maintenance: These cars are pretty easy to maintain and need very little maintenance that also isn't very expensive.

Nice write up Max! Makes me want one even more :D

Huge blindspot on the coupe. On the left, some may think hey this guy doens't know what he is talking about or his mirrors are adjusted wrong. Nope, it just happens if you're tall and drive a vette. The huge pillar is exactly in the blind spot.

When you come up Saturday, you NEED to check out my Autobaun mirrors.....I have 2 spares that my dad isn't using, maybe you will want one for that blind spot. I don't look over my shoulders anymore because I can see the car even with me but 4 lanes over, haha.

Nice write up. Are there any years to avoid (hard to maintain/this side of the lemon law, etc)?

Sold our 63 convertable in 85. We were fairly active in the local Corvette club (Cowtown Corvettes.)

Yes I would avoid the 2000-01 like the devil, they burn OIL! 1 quart every 2500 miles or more. This issue was fixed in 2002 and wasn't existant in the 97-99 years. The 02+ Have the better intake, best options, upgraded manual transmissions. Pre 00 don't have active handling, Heads Up Display and a few other goodies.

1997 has a return style fuel system versus returnless on the new ones. The 01's also had the LS6 intake manifold and not many people know this but in 01 all the LS1's got upgraded heads casted which flow slightly better than the pre 01 heads but not as good as the LS6 heads obviously. Max, get the TR224/224-114 cam, it's the biggest one which will still pass smog.

Yep, thanks for that tip Serge :D. I am already looking at some. Problem is I don't want to lose drivability and gas mileage. I should also headers to go along with this mod... and here it starts the crazy mod spree lol.

You don't really need headers, I would just do cam and dyno tune. You will gain a lot by just a dyno tune... the ecu retards the timing a lot in between shifts, do a dyno tune and you will get sideways shifting gears at WOT.

You do know that I have manual right? This car breaks the tires loose at 40mph if I am gunning it... I will need new wheels and tires since 275s and runflats are a poor choice for excellent traction.

you will get sideways shifting gears at WOT.

Max and getting sideways don't always mix.....

I say YES on the cam and get the biggest possible because it will sound B.A.! I also say YES on the headers too.....if you're gonna do it, go all the way....

I am still thinking about what I will do next... I would hate to kill gas mileage, I love the fact that I averaged 27mpg on my way to Jesses, stuck in traffic. And then all the way back, and plenty of WOT in between. In my Mark VIII I would get 19-20mpg doing the same thing.

I am thinking headers and tune would be my next step.

If you are planning on getting a cam later wait on the tune since you will have to get retuned again anyway. Nick at http://www.newtechperformance.com/ will hook you up with a perfect dyno tune. He is the one who tuned my buddy's bolt on Z28 LS1 6 speed which ran 114mph in the 1/4 with headers, pulley, lid, 4.10's and some suspension work. He has a 9 second LS1 himself and best of all he's located in Hayward.

Wow that is awesome Serge, this guy is right next to my house !!! I am debating the whole cam thing since large cams are basically a waste of money from what I hear.. I just want to make sure that the car retains its driveability. I may be leaning more towards supercharging than cam...

Well you can always get the stock LS6 cam which comes in the C5 Z06, or a very mild sleeper Thunder Racing cam like a 220-220-114 which would make more power than the LS6 cam. Anything up to a 230 is considered small cam and won't change your driveablity.

So are you pretty well stuck with the tires and wheels or are there reasonable replacements?

There are some great "replica" wheel replacements for right around 700-800 for a set of 18x9 in the front and 19x10 in the back. This way I will probably run 295s out back and 265 or so out front. Currently the car breaks the 275s loose at 40mph in first gear and starts to goes sideways. I hate the current tires.

There are "other options" for wheels but they are pretty pricy around 2500 or so. Corvette wheels are pretty much Corvette specific, so although there are plenty of choices they are still somewhat limited.

Stock sized tires are not too expensive either, but once you get into aftermarket wheel/tire combos the price becomes exponential. Especially on 19" and 20" tires!!

Back