Chip Guard Paint?

billcu

Head Moderator
Staff member
I'm working on the rocker panels on my red Mark.

They are originally painted with some textured "rock guard?" paint. I'm not sure what it's really called, but does anyone know what this is and where I could get some?

You should be able to get it from NAPA or any body shop supply/paint store. It was on my '93rocker panels as well when I had it redone last spring.

Thanks JP, I found it online. It's actually called Chip Guard.

I'll give Napa a call to see if they have it locally.

I'm working on the rocker panels on my red Mark.

They are originally painted with some textured "rock guard?" paint. I'm not sure what it's really called, but does anyone know what this is and where I could get some?

Yep, my 95 had it on the rockers and lower 1/4 panels when they repainted it. They had to remove it before spraying. It's clear and has a tough rough surface when it dries like spray in bedliners. I wish they put it back on. Really worked great to prevent chips under the doors.

Yes, this stuff is great. They didn't have the clear when I bought mine, so I applied it after the primer. That's how it was applied at the factory anyway (I know that doesn't make much sense but it looks just like original).

I changed the title of this thread to show the correct name of the product for future reference and searches. The paint is made by a company called SEM and I was able to buy it at a local Painters Supply store.

Back