Aquada- high speed amphibious sports car

Alexander

Well-known
Paid Member
A couple of weeks ago I had the privilege of being invited to a focus group on a new British vehicle that is planned to be imported into the USA. It is a sports car on water and a speed boat on the water. It a long way in technology from the 1960's German Amphicar. It can go up to 45 mph on the water and handles very well both on land and on water. It seats three people.

Gibbs Technologies plans the market the vehicle not just as recreational vehicle, but also as a commuter vehicle to avoid traffic for those people who live near waterways.

The questions asked on the focus group consisted mostly on what price they would pay depending on the features the vehicle would have. Most of the people in my group wanted a car that had a top with roll up windows. The projected price of the vehicle is about $75,000. It would be imported with an American motor, so it would easier and cheaper to service.

The model we rode in had no side windows. They showed versions of the car with no windshield or windows or top to versions with full convertible top with power or manual side windows.

Seat and luggage space is an issue with this vehicle. It only seats three, and it has limited luggage space. The driver sits in the middle, so that the vehicle can be sold in any country in the same basic configuration.

I had a ball in the water test drive. This car I would love to own.

Think about it, you don't need to tow a boat to the water. You just drive to the boat ramp and go into the water. A great idea.

This my video of the Aquada going into the water:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m29BgAzbg0

These are some pictures of this cool car-boat:

black-aquada-front.jpg

Black Aquada front view

black-aquada-rear.jpg

Black Aquada rear view

yellow-aquada-front.jpg

Yellow Aquada front view

yellow-aquada-rear.jpg

Yellow Aquada rear view

aquada-driver-view.jpg

Aquada instruments

aquada-instruments.jpg

Aquada - driver's seat

aquada-interior.jpg

Aquada interior

aquada-motor-cover.jpg

Aquada motor cover - the vehicle is mid-engine.

aquada-radio.jpg

Aquada radio. there is a cover that flips up to protect it from the water.

aquada-trunk.jpg

Aquada trunk. Fire extinquiher is include. Those bars are for jacking up the vehicle.

aquada-on-water.jpg

Aquada on the water.

aquada-wake.jpg

Aquada's wake

More videos, pictures and information on this vehicle as well as other amphibious vehicles Gibbs Technologies makes can be found at http://www.gibbstech.co.uk/aquada.php .

Cool, but looks a bit small for someone my size at 6'3". I hope they know a lot of us Americans are huge :D

Didn't Top Gear do a show about this car then they tried(and failed!) to make water worthy cars of their own? Think it was last year or maybe 2 years ago. This is a neat idea, but man couldn't they make the front look a little more attractive?

While the features of the car are very cool. I would not call it a sports car... the front looks like a last gen... mazda miata... it has small tall tires and I seriously doubt it handles well.

But having a car and a boat all in one is very cool.

I kinda laughed when they describe it themselves as clearly before its time. Isn't time the only thing that can state something was before tis time when mroe vehicles inherit its traits later?

Without doors, how was it getting into? I think it would look much better all one color. Stumbled across the Watercar while looking at your video Alexander. Now this looks really cool.

The Watercar has some similarities as to how it rides on a platform, but it is a one off vehicle based on a Pontiac Firebird. The Aquada will be a production car. The Aquada will have doors, if the public demand is there. It is quite easy to get into the car without the door. I can say that with confidence, as my left leg is not as limber and maneuverable since the resection of the cancer in my thigh.

I'm trying to place the location of your test "drive" but I can't quite... where was this?

It was off the boat ramp near the Roosevelt Park in Oyster Bay. It was hard to find , even with directions. I was waiting at the wrong end of the park, and no one there heard of the demonstration. I was lucky to find someone who know where a boat ramp was around there. I was on a end with marina and dock - lots of boats, but no where to drive a car into the water.

It was off the boat ramp near the Roosevelt Park in Oyster Bay. ...

Well I guess when something stares you in the face you can't see it because that's my local beach and ramp! I've only been there maybe 500 times in my life, including a crusie in the other night! :rolleyes:

I wish I had called you for directions, as the ones I had were confusing. I went down the road they stated and passed the railroad tracks, unfortunately, there were old disused railroad tracks I crossed. I was there on time, but there was nary a person to ask directions.

Back