Air Box "freezer"

SpyderDiablo

Registered
what would be the problems of basically making the air box on a '93 Mark VIII into a freezer, essentially making a cold-cold-air induction system? Or alternatively, running refrigerant lines in the air ductwork (besides moisture)? Also, has anyone ever implemented this type of idea on any type of vehicle, not just the Mark VIII?

Last edited:
Well it won't work !!! The freezer will not be able to cool the air sufficiently quick enough to make a difference. And the added weight of the contraption and potential problems will certainly outweigh the gains.

I think the mitsubishi Evo has something that squirts water from the washer fluid resevoir on the intercooler but nothing like what you want mentioned exists.

Well it won't work !!! The freezer will not be able to cool the air sufficiently quick enough to make a difference. And the added weight of the contraption and potential problems will certainly outweigh the gains.

I think the mitsubishi Evo has something that squirts water from the washer fluid resevoir on the intercooler but nothing like what you want mentioned exists.

It would be in a catolog if it was any good. Get water\meth kit to get cooling if you need it.

What you want is this: http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts.aspx?partfamilyid=1160&CategoryID=28&SubcategoryID=212

Here's an article about CryO2 winning the 2003 SEMA award: http://www.autoblog.com/2005/06/13/design-engineering-inc-s-cryo2-system/

A couple of the young kids at our dealership have HiPo Japanese turbo'd cars (a Skyline and a 350hp Supra) and they and their speedracer friends use CryO2 components to chill their intercoolers. There's also chill tubes available to pass through your air intake tube to drop incoming air temperatures significantly.

My boys claim quite noticeable performance increases in their cars.

I've never used this stuff myself, I'm just sayin'....

Last edited:
im not 100% sure on this but im pretty sure that the lightnings have a after cooler under the blower that runs off of the A/C system. it has what looks like a big trans cooler that sets under the intake in the air stream that they pump R-134 through. from what i have heard if R-134a leaks into your motor some how it has VERY bad effects in parts sorta like "super" nitrous with out the power gains but very bad for a motor to inhale.

I want to try the CryO2 system.

I've often thought about enclosing part in the air intake tubing in a insulated box and using dry ice to cool the incoming air charge.

I think another setup for the air/water IC could utilize a cool can with dry ice to cool down the fluid prior to going into the manifold might have some positive effects as well (adleast short term).

I think what 7 sek mark was talking about with the Lightnings was the Super Cooler that they had on the concept Lightning with the new body style and the dual ram air intake on the hood. It was supposed to cool a volume of air using the a/c system and whenever you went WOT, it would pump it into the intake and create an effect much like a 50 hp shot of nitrous--claimed by SVT--and would last maybe 20 secs, and took about 3 mins. to recharge. Obviously, it never made it to production since there was never an updated Lightning with the new body style.

Back