Rear Neon Light Help

gtshaw

Registered
Well my ballast on my rear neon bar finally went bad two weeks ago (I knew it was bound to happen). Well I found another light bar with a working ballast, and the light only comes on when I press the brake. Not when I turn on the lights. Why is this?

There should be 2 wires, one for parking lights and another for when you hit the brake, a third wire is for the ground. Make sure you got both hooked up correctly.

OK, I took some pictures from different angles. Everything is connectected. I just cannot get the light to come on. Only when I press the brake. I don't see what is not connected.

100_4817.JPG

100_4818.JPG

100_4819.JPG

100_4820.JPG

I have the same problem with one of mine, and I figured the ballast was the problem. In any case glitchm@hotmail.com sells a replacment ballast for a very reasonable price, so that is my intended fix. I have used his parts on 2 previous Gen II's that I have owned, and have been very pleased.

As the lamp is working with the brake, the ballast is probably NOT the problem, however, I wouls still contact glitch as he knows this system very well and can help you troubleshoot it.

In the factory connector going to your ballast, there's a green wire which is powered when the brake is pressed. That's obviously OK.

There's also a brown wire that is powered when the marker lights are on. Do you have >10v there?

If not, look very carefully at the harness going to the trunk lid and following along the left trunk hinge. It's VERY common for wires to break near the body side of the hinge due to repeated flexing.

If you have both powers and a good ground, chances are pretty good it is the ballast.

Guys, guys,guys... Doesnt make any difference how many ballasts you put on the dang thing, IF YOU HAVE A BROKEN WIRE TO ONE SIDE OR THE OTHER, A BALLAST WONT FIX A DANG THING! Thats a lot of work and money for nothing. Ya Cant just throw parts at a Mark VIII. It wont ever get any better - except by accident, and I for one cant afford to do that.
Find out how to trouble shoot it and go from there.

97 Neon Conundrum

97 Neon Conundrum

Re-read my post (#6) to be sure of your power sources.

I too have a neon taillight prob.

I have 12V on the brown wire, but always zero on the green. I have verified 0.01 ohms to the ground on the trunk lid.

This is with the lights on and a Taurus alternator in a box pushing on the brake.

Additionally, the neon flashes on briefly and then goes dark when I first reconnect the connectors under the liner in the trunk lid. Dark, disconnect. Dark, reconnect - FLASH! - dark again. Repeat as necessary.

Sounds like a ballast to me. But why never 12VDC on the green wire? It got dark and cold (<30F) so I had to quit.

I'll do more wire chasing tomorrow.

- Art

Last edited:
If the neon fashes when you turn on lights or hit the brake, it's a pretty sure bet that it's a bad ballast. Get glitch!

he said it works with the brakes pressed so obviously it isnt a broken wire going to the bulb itself or the light wouldnt work at all. its a bad ballast, the ballast is a two stage, one stage lights the tube then the 2nd stage takes over to keep it lit, the first stage is obviously flash starting the bulb then stage two lights it when the brakes are applied, your parking light is stage 1 and not working anymore. get a ballast from glitch , spend a half hour installing it to his simple and accurate instructions and you wont have to worry about it anymore, it will be the best 90 bucks you ever spent on the car i promise you!

There's some information on Glitch's web site besides just ordering a new inverter. Look HERE.

One of his inverters fixed my failed neon.

I got rid of my 98 Mark rear ballast light problems. the blend door actuator problem, the chipped octogon rim problems and the very potential air ride suspension problem and traded my Mark in on an 2005 Lincoln V8 LS which really kicks azz. I loved that car but had to get away from it. It was getting to be a financial time-bomb.
Joe

I need to look into my problem also. Mine does not work at all. I'm going to take the car to a neon shop that has a wand first to make sure the bulb isn't gone. I know the ballast is working, I can hear it buzzing and I've verified it's output. I'm suspecting a break in the cable between the neon and the ballast. I'm hoping that is the problem. Winter project..........

Back