Transmission Problems

94 Mark VIII w/ 91k, shudders when shifting in low gear, at cruise the transmission appears to be slipping (rpm's rev and I have to let off the gas and wait for the rpm's to settle before transmission will catch). I have read that this could be a problem with the TR/MLP sensor. Anybody have any ideas on a solution?

Do you have Mercon V as fluid?? If you do NOT, I'd completely replace that old Mercon with the V and try again.

+1 to what bud said..

Mercron 5 for starters....

...would be glad to meet up and take a peek at it for you.

MLPS is another likely suspect.

If MLPS and Mercron 5 dont solve the issue... I hate to say that you will probably need a transmission..as I did.

I'll try replacing the tranny fluid. I don't have access to any of my tools at the moment, will I be able to get the fluid replaced with the Mercon V at any service station?

By the way, I have been searching the parts stores for the MLP and cant find anything other than a "throttle position sensor". Does anyone have any idea if this is the same sensor or can i get the MLP only at the Ford House? Second question, where is the MLP located, I am assuming it is mounted on the outside of the tranny somewhere?

I wouldn't trust a service station. Go to a Lincoln dealer and have them flush it. But MUCH cheaper to do it yourself. About $100-150 to have dealer flush it. Mercon V is about 12-15 a gallon. You need about 4 gallons. I found out Mercon V is cheapest at the Lincoln dealer.

I think the correct name is Manual Lever Positioning Sensor or the likes.

Also I would highly recommend that you do the transmission service yourself and or make sure the shop actually ususes Mercon V because it is an expensive fluid... and shops love dumping $4 a gallon mercon III in the Marks vs the $4 a quart Mercon V.

By the way, I have been searching the parts stores for the MLP and cant find anything other than a "throttle position sensor". Does anyone have any idea if this is the same sensor or can i get the MLP only at the Ford House? Second question, where is the MLP located, I am assuming it is mounted on the outside of the tranny somewhere?

A lot of places call the MLPS a "neutral safety switch". I think that's what Autozone calls it.

will I be able to get the fluid replaced with the Mercon V at any service station?

The Valvoline Express Lube shop next door to my office charges 79.99 for a transmission flush, at that price they use "standard transmission fluid" not Mercron V.

I approached them and asked them how much they would charge to "do the service" if I provided the fluid.

They did mine for 40.00 cash, and I provided the Mercron 5.
Just FYI

I was told that the transmission on a 1993 mark VIII was a closed system and its wasn't servicable but I am glad I have gotten onto this forum and found out otherwise. I just bought her 3 weeks ago and wanted to come here to get the "pros" thoughts on different aspects of the car....first lincoln I have ever owned.

I'm sure a lot of guys here groaned when you said "shuddering 93 tranny". Common problem in high mileage Marks...the earlier the year, the worse it is.

I was told that the transmission on a 1993 mark VIII was a closed system and its wasn't servicable ...

A lot of early Mark VIIIs came with a bold sticker on the tranny that instructed service technicians NOT to service the transmission and to call a toll free number for instructions. My '93 had that.

Im sorry to say but your transmission is blowed up! Mine did same thing, mercon V did not help - but a new tranny did, when i took the old one out, i found out it wasnt original either! My motor is strong and chews up tranny's if you race it alot - replace tranny, get one used for $250 and have it installed for another $100 - $200 , i promise fluid wont help - ive been through this

Wow who in their right mind would charge 100-200 for a transmission replacement...

And a well cared for 98+ transmission will last for 200k miles or more. I would not waste my money swapping any trans that is pre 98...

My 95 trans lasted until 360,000 miles and it's very doubtful that anyone races their car more than mine.
I won three back to back season long championships 2004, 2005 and 2006.

We ran in 2002 and 2003 as well...
That is 5 years of "never ending dragstrip duty"..
we raced EVERY friday night.. not once a month or twice a quarter.. EVERY friday night at a track that was 82 miles from my house.

160 mile round trip... beat the P*SS out of it.. rinse, lather repeat!!!

With proper service and a little tender loving care these transmission can last a long time.

mine made it to over 5000 passes before it began to "shudder when shifting to reverse".. so I put a 98 trans in the car.

Last edited:
Back