Belt Squeal / Screeching

cg22

Registered
Guys,

Please help! I have a sqeaking belt problem that no one can figure out. I have read every post at 3 times regarding this issue. Tried everything I know as a car hobbiest to resolve this. I am at my wits end!

94 MArk VIII with 1 mod (steeda crankshft pulley). Total milage 145K.

Here's the scoop and some history on the car.

I bought the car in 2003 had many problems (bad tranny, leaky EGR tube, brake issues, bad alternator, air bag leaks, separated harmonic balancer, ball joints, etc.) I have fixed all issues except this squeaking belt problem. It just wont go away! Previous owner had AC problems and had compressor replaced. Steering rack was also replaced in 2001.

Symptoms:
1) Belt chirps on start up and almost goes away when car warms up.
2) During accelleration I get an intense screech/squeal from the center or left side of motor when facing the engine.

Items replaced to try to resolve this squeal.

a) Alternator from Autozone (was bad anyway)
b) Poly Cog belt (94" due to racing pulley)
c) New tensioner
d) New Idler Pulley
e) Swapped out water pump from my parts car (old one had bearing play)
f) Cleaned all pulleys and groves with brakes cleaner and wirebrush
g) New steeda pulley
h) Sprayed belt with belt spray, squeal goes away for about 2 min. then returns. (sprayed both inner and outer sides of belt)

When I first purchased the car on inner belt rib was missing, like someone had cut it off. I contributed this to the separated harmonic balancer.So I replaced it with a new belt and had belt particles all over alternator after a month of two. I noticed the alt. was tilted rearward a little so I loosened the top bracket bolts, aligned it so that it was more even with the rest of the pulleys.

I have about 20-30 hours into this and had all 3 guys at Advanced Auto listen to it and say they have no ideas. They said you changed everything that would cause the squeal.

I know some of you memebers live here in Tampa Bay area, if it helps, I'd be happy to bring the car over to you for a listen. I do NOT want to go to the stealership, EVER! They will want to start replacing things and I will end up with a $1k or more bill.

I love my 94 and have since bought a 93.

I've heard that belt dressing is not good for serpentine belts (not sure why).

If everything else is good, I'd try a different belt.

Is anything leaking onto the belt (coolant, oil, etc.)?

That was my first thought, once you get some fluid on a pulley or belt it can be next to impossible to get it all off.

But since you have tried cleaning them you might try replacing the belt again as the others suggested. Try a different brand, if it continues, maybe get a belt that is the next size smaller? If there a racing pulley on there, maybe the belt you are using is just a hair too big causing the slip under load. I'm not sure how feasible that it, but that's my thoughts.

Belt Dressing - Leaks

Belt Dressing - Leaks

Nothing is leaking on the belt. I tried both the old belt and a brand new dayco poly cog ($30) belt. It's a little better with the poly cog but still screaming loud during acceleration. The new belt is actually tighter than the old one. New one is 94.09".

I did let the problem lie for a few days and took a fresh look at it today. From what I can tell, the AC compressor appears to be leaning back some. The front of the compressor don't appear to be parallel with the crank pulley.
I will unbolt it and check to see if it is mounted correctly. I have a spare on hand if it needs changing. I hate to open up a working AC system though. Perhaps the moneys that the previous owner took it to did poor workmanship.

I also ordered a gatorback belt yesterday and will try it that too.

I would say try a stock crank pulley and see if that makes the issue go away.
I know you didn't want to hear that, but.. give it a shot.

maybe Jamie has a stock balancer ya'll could "toss on there" and see if the problem goes away.

Just FYI.. you dont need to open up the AC system in order to check the compressor alignment. I pulled my compressor when I changed my crank sensor and I didn't open up the lines.. I just loosened the compressor bolts and layed it GENTLY to the side.

You wont even have to lay it aside if your just checking and verifying alignment.

While I was typing this.. it occured to me that since you keep seeing "other pulleys" not "INLINE" with the crank pulley.. that MAYBE the crank pulley isn't fully seated???
just a thought from the far side..... hope some of this helps

Does the belt tensioner on the Mark's have a belt replacement indicator?

If you aren't familiar with them they basically indicate how much the belt has stretched. My thought is if the belt is maybe slightly oversized it would be indicated by the belt tensioner and look like a stretched belt.

But if that isn't it, are you seeing or noticing any wear on the current belt yet?

You guys are great and tyour clues are excellent. I will keep at it. I am one not to give up! Will post results as I continue down this bumpy road.

thx

With the combined knowledge and mileage of the users on this board, it's hard to come up with a problem that "someone" hasn't had before.

With that said.....

We're always glad to help and try and steer someone in the right direction.

Do us and future readers of this thread a favor and "keep us posted"!

I am one not to give up!

thx

That is the #1 most important aspect of owning and enjoying one of these very complicated and technology packed cars.

With that type of attitude, you are the PERFECT MARK 8 owner!

*enjoy and WELCOME*

Reply with Results

Reply with Results

I got my gatorback belt, installed it and no more squeal. YAY!!
I will see how long this lasts. In the past the belt left belt dust on the alternator over time . I hope this monster problem dont come back. I will also view my 93 Mark VIII I am a curious if its compressor appears to be leaning back slightly.

Back