I have air leaking - Where do I start?

4sracn

Registered
Thank you in advance for your time and any information you can provide. I’ll try to be brief without confusion.

I recently bought a 1996 Mark VIII with 122,000 miles. I knew about the suspension problem, however did not know much about how to fix it. After about two or three days without driving car, I will find the front end completely lowered (wheels up in fender well). When I start the car the pump seems to bring the car to proper height without any trouble. When I drive the car, the pump runs often. It runs at the majority of stop intersections or when I park. I can’t tell if the pump is running while I drive down the road. I do not receive any trouble codes.

Questions: I can’t hear the pump while driving, but can defiantly hear it when I stop. Is this two loud, indicating the pump is going bad? Should it be running this often? I am going to do the soap and water to look for leaks, and also want to do a leak down test which I have read about on other posts. I just measure ride heights at different intervals correct? What are considered normal to poor results of a leak down test? What about the switch in the trunk, I assume I just turn this off before I raise the car or remove any wheels.

I also have a slight but very noticeable shake in the steering wheel, if this may have something to do with the suspension. One other thing. Today, I expected to find the suspension out of air, but it was not. Is there anything that may cause air to leak more or less at different times?

Again, thank you for entertaining my questions.

Last edited:
It sounds like the leaks are in the front air springs (bags.) The car automatically lowers at speed above 40 MPH or so. When it slows below this, the pump will turn on and pump it back up. If the pump cycles constantly and you are below 40mph, then the air bags are leaking.

Chances are good the front air bags need replacing, at the least. If you cannot hear the compressor while driving, that is good news -- the compressor is good. A bad compressor makes noise.

When these bags fail they tend to fail at a crease in the bag. When the car lowers, the bag may pinch the leak off and it takes a "long" while for the bags to deflate. When pumped up to maximum, it may deflate faster.

Look at the bags and see if they look new. If they don't, chances are you should replace them.

Replace with second generation bags.

Dont procrasinate with a leaking bag or bags otherwise you'll be replaceing the compressor, relay and possibly the air ride computer as well.

replacing the compressor might not be a bad idea, since your going to likely be replacing both front bags anyways.

If your pump has been running ALOT, as it sounds from your description...just do the pump as well while your at it.

and I agree with what is posted above.. replace your front struts with those for a second generation mark 8 (97-98 model) as they are much improved over the original design.

If you allow the car to pump itself up... then turn off the switch in the trunk then go for a short ride, then you'll find out how soon your bags are leaking down.. and how often the compressor would be running to keep your car "afloat".

If you turn off the switch in the trunk the compressor wont be allowed to replace the air in the leaking bag/s.... more than likely you wont get very far 50 miles? maybe.. before the front end of your car "pancakes".. when that happens.. pull over in a safe place... turn the air ride back on.. and TAKE THE CAR HOME, and hopefully park it until you can get the parts to make it work right.

Do yourself a favor and dont short cut to coil springs at this point.
You owe it to yourself and your car to give a "properly working air ride" a chance...... Now.. after you replace the front bags and compressor, say.. 150-200k from now THEN if you feel the need to "convert to springs" atleast you gave "a properly functioning air ride" a chance.

I'm on my second set of bags at 393,000 miles the originals died right AT 200K and the replacement set has taken me "this far" with no problems..

Hope this helps.

Another Symptom

Another Symptom

Your advise is very helpful, thank you. I have been talking to the previous owner and he agreed that the air leaks are very irregular. Like he said, sometimes it takes five days to leak down and sometimes five minutes. I think the five minutes is just matter of speech, I haven't seen it leak that fast.

5 minutes or 5 days, the fact remains that if you procrastinate on this repair, the cost will only go "UP"..

Right now, you might get away by only replacing the leaking struts.
Wait.. and you'll need to add a "compressor and possibly the air ride computer" as well.

you stated your car is a 96, in 96 they introduced the new style front struts. 93-95 have a metal structure that makes up the strut assembly, in 96 they switched to plastic. the easiest way to tell if these are leaking, is pop your hood, above both struts is a black plastic cover thats held in with 2 plastic phillips screws each, remove them , pull the covers off, and spray soapy water all over the top of the strut bushings, 2nd generation style struts rarely leak at the air bag bladder, but from the rubber cap bushings in the top of the units. usually just looking at the bushings through the holes on the top of the strut towers will let you see if the bushings are split, and with 122k, i am willing to bet they are both split.

replacing the air ride

replacing the air ride

Ok, so I am the luckiest guy alive! I LOVE lincolns. I have had several town cars and one continental. Up until last week, I had never owned a mark 8. by the way, I only have had lincolns as secondary cars. dont have one as a daily driver. I am hooked on bmw and mercedes. I was on my way to look at a Mercedes and came across a 94 mark 8 with bad air ride bags in the front. Lo0ng story short, I drove it home after paying $500 bucks for it. (front air ride being its only problem) I am seriously thinking of parking my 02 BMW to drive this mark 8. I seen the post where someone said to use the second generation air bags instead of the ones for the 93 94 models.....my question is, will I need to do any modifications to use newer model air bags, or will the ones from say a 98 mark 8 hook right up where mine do on the 94...thanks so much for ANY information. The car will air the front bags up about 4 inches, and oddly enough, It rides great with the bags only that full....but I do not want to take any chances and I am not driving it until its fixed...Thanks again

Jay Grant

If you order a new compressor I would also pop for the Spider Valve. I would pop for it any how as it does prolong compresso life by venting externally from the compressor and also removing moisture from the system.

If you order a new compressor I would also pop for the Spider Valve. I would pop for it any how as it does prolong compresso life by venting externally from the compressor and also removing moisture from the system.

This is very good advice...
Granted the spider valve isnt cheap.. but it's worth it's weight in gold.

After seeing and experiencing how much more life it adds to the air ride system, I suggest that EVERYONE install one!

Replacing bushings ???

Replacing bushings ???

...usually just looking at the bushings through the holes on the top of the strut towers will let you see if the bushings are split, and with 122k, i am willing to bet they are both split.
Can I replace only the bushings. Also, if I replace air bags, should I buy from Ford or are there any decent after market applications that will save me some money? I'm hearing between 400 and 500 dollars per bag. 1996 Mark VIII.

Last edited:
The parts Jamie was refering to are part of the air spring assembly and are not replaceable. Go to the American website for the new airsprings, compressor, and a Spider valve. Ediie is a heads up well respected vendor that all of us use. He helps all his customers out and backs up his stuff.

Back