Tranny question

46callaway

Registered
The torque converter seal has been leaking very slightly for about 6 months on my 96 Mark VIII, maybe a small drop every few days. Today I got the oil changed and I went went WOT twice on the way back home. When I got back, I went to check the tranny fluid and it looked perfect, still pinkish red Mercon 5, I decided to top it off and then I noticed a puddle of transmission fluid on the ground. I parked it in the garage to see how badly it is leaking and it hasn't dripped at all since (been a few hours). Should I start saving for a new tranny or will I be fine just topping off the tranny fluid every once in a while?

You're talking about the pump seal where the TC slips into the transmission, correct.. There's a seal that can be replaced to take care of that leak. The bad news is that the trans has the be pulled to do this. Unless you have some really good buddies with a hoist and trans stand this tends to be expensive but the leak is taken care of.

Now if you are going that far and upgrades are in the future you might as well go for it with an upgraded Trans and TC so you only have to do this once. Here's the thought pattern on this, if you just replace the TC with a higher stall you still have all that grime that a flush will not remove inside the trans. It will break some loose and that will then travel through the circuits and into the brand new TC. You don't want that. Then on the other side, if you replace the Trans, it's just insane to leave the stock or old TC in when it has contaminated fluid inside it that can't be removed but will come out during normal use to get inside your new trans. So upgrading to a new TC is highly recommended. Or if you already have a good aftermarket unit, have it sent off to be opened cleaned and inspected. Most TC companies will do this for little charge, unless you want it restalled.

Honestly, a torque converter seal doesn't "slightly" leak. Once they start, its constant. Are you sure its not the dipstick o-ring and its following the case down and dripping off in the middle of the bellhousing? I'd suggest pulling the little rubber plug in the bellhousing and shining a flashlight up in there and look for any type of wetness. I bet its dry........

On the other hand.....my old work can pull the trans, change the seal & bushing, re-install the trans for $300 + parts. :D

J, if I was going to pull the trans I would change the tranny to a 99 GT tranny, if your old shop can do it for a good price pm me...

Back