Another joins the club.

Langly

Registered
Hey guys, its an honor to be part of such a distinctive crowd.

I am coming up on 100,000, any suggestions on maintenance? I am considering spark plugs, but I have to be honest, Where Are They??? How do I get to them???

98 Mark VIII LSC

Welcome. :)

Suprisingly, Lincoln Mark VIIIs only require an oil change at 100,000 miles(according to the manual). ;)

But at 90,000 miles...

90,000 MILES (145 000 Kilometers)

• Change engine oil and oil filter every 3,000 miles (5 000 km) or 3 months.
  • Replace engine coolant every 30,000 miles (48 000 km) or 36 months.
  • Replace spark plugs.
  • Inspect accessory drive belt(s).
  • Replace air cleaner filter.
  • Inspect exhaust heat shields.
  • Change automatic transmission fluid.
  • Inspect disc brake pads and rotors.

Welcome. I think replacing the spark plugs is probably one of the easiest things to do on the cars. I go with the Autolite copper plugs, I forget the number now, but there's lots of info and opinions on choices of plugs in the Drivetrain forum.

Hey guys, its an honor to be part of such a distinctive crowd.

I am coming up on 100,000, any suggestions on maintenance? I am considering spark plugs, but I have to be honest, Where Are They??? How do I get to them???

98 Mark VIII LSC

In the center of the cam cover (valve cover) you'll find a plate with two bolts holding it down. The one on the drivers side of the engine will say Intech 32 Valve V8. This is called the "coil cover". Romove the coil cover and you will find 4 coils, one for each plug. This configuartion is call COP or Coil on Plug.
Gently.. very gently.. remove the coil from the plug by twisting and lifting. Under the coil you will find the spark plug. Remove them just as you would any other plug.

Hope this helps..

In the center of the cam cover (valve cover) you'll find a plate with two bolts holding it down. The one on the drivers side of the engine will say Intech 32 Valve V8. This is called the "coil cover". Romove the coil cover and you will find 4 coils, one for each plug. This configuartion is call COP or Coil on Plug.
Gently.. very gently.. remove the coil from the plug by twisting and lifting. Under the coil you will find the spark plug. Remove them just as you would any other plug.

Hope this helps..

Also, inspect those boots. If hey have not been replaced yet they can crack very easy.

WELCOME! SInce you need parts keep in mind that by joining the LOD you can save at least 10% on parts when you buy through one of our vendors. Joining will be the best $20 you ever spent on your car.

Spark Plugs
Fuel Filter
Rear Diff Fluid
Coolant (if it wasn't changed recently)
Transmission fluid (if it has more than 30,000 on it)
Air filter?!
Powersteering fluid
Brake Fluid

All of the above mentioned fluids have exceeded their intended lifespan by the time you reach 100k

WOW, this site is great! I can see now I have joined quite an elite group. I really appreciate the number of responses. Thanks!

I have already done all fluids and filters that have been suggested, (except brake & steering). I will attempt the spark plugs next, ...ever so gently.

I once owned a 1997 Cadillac Eldordo. I have seen some articles suggesting that the Eldorado was a more superior car to the Mark VIII. Well now I own a 1998 Mark VIII and they are NUTS. This Mark VIII will blow any Eldordo away. I'm not just talking power. I am also talking ride, luxury, interior, looks, dependability, and most important, Rear Wheel Drive! I love this car.

Thanks again and I will be monitoring.
Langly

Welcome Langley!

Be sure to read up about your car in the drivetrain and other sections here.

There's lots of great info here.

Make sure you torque the Spark Plugs correctly I think they only require about 7 pound feet of torque... the threads are very sensitive.

The spec is 7-15 Lb-In! :eek:

It looks like I've got 7-15 lb ft in my book also.

Strange... the source(CD Manual) I originally looked up had LB-IN at the top of the torque specification header. Everywhere else I looked had LB-FT.

The 'official' Ford 1993 Specification Book lists the spark plug to cylinder head torque as 6.6-15 LB-FT.

My apologies for the confusion.

Strange... the source(CD Manual) I originally looked up had LB-IN at the top of the torque specification header. Everywhere else I looked had LB-FT.

The 'official' Ford 1993 Specification Book lists the spark plug to cylinder head torque as 6.6-15 LB-FT.

My apologies for the confusion.

Dang...thought we had Max on that one. ;)

Back