Hotels in NY?!

maxmk8

Registered
So I will visit New York during the weekend of Dec 7th-9th.

I need to book a room for the night of the 8th....

I checked popular hotel sites... and I AM STILL IN SHOCK!!

$329 a night for the holiday inn... in Manhattan WTF?!

My flight is $129 there and $129 back and the hotel would cost me more?! This makes no sense... Holiday Inn over here is <$100 even in SF it is less than $150.

Any recommendations on where I can stay at a cheaper cost?! I don't mind up to 1 hr commute to and from the Hotel. But it must be accessible via public transportation.

This is my first time on the East Coast WOOOT!

Wait till you go get a cheeseburger. Bring lots of money. I was there for 3 weeks, my company gave me $500 spending money it lasted about 4 days.

I travel to NYC often for work and have found that staying in Secaucus, NJ is a much better deal. The hotels are substantially cheaper and you can easily catch a bus to the city. The hotels in Secaucus seem to all have stop right out front of the building and the desk always has a schedule brochure. The bus ride in runs about two bucks or so and during peak hours, gets you there very quickly (under 15 minutes!).
During rush hours, there are lanes to the Lincoln Tunnel that are "bus only" and you, and your fellow mass transit users, cruise right by all the people sitting in their cars. Same deal on the way out.
If you are trying to go in when the rest of the world is going out (6:30 PM), you might sit a little while in traffic.
The buses run usually every 20 minutes until midnight at which time they are not as frequent.
It's fun and easy!
The buses deliver you to the Port Authority Bus Terminal, which is in mid-town, just off the theater district.

You need a room for one Sat. night in December... that's why it's so high.

Secaucus is good but are there any hotels in Hoboken? Great town Hoboken with a view of Manhattan no less! There are also some good hotels in Queens.

Manhattan is the most expensive place to stay. If you stay in Queens it is cheaper and if you stay near one of the major subway lines like the E or F, you will be in Manhattan in 15 to 20 minutes by subway.

So any recommendations on Hotel names that are right next to the public transportation mentioned above?!

You need a room for one Sat. night in December... that's why it's so high.

Secaucus is good but are there any hotels in Hoboken? Great town Hoboken with a view of Manhattan no less! There are also some good hotels in Queens.

No hotels in Hoboken. But there is a Courtyard by Marriott in Jersey City that has a PATH station next to it.

Max, what are you itinerary and agenda for your trip here? How many people in you group?

2people

leaving Thursday 10pm here arriving 5am at JFK.
Then I am taking a train up to princeton and probably spending the entire day/night there....

Coming back Sat Morning from Princeton probably going to check into the hotel...

And then I am departing 8pm on Sunday from JFK

2people

leaving Thursday 10pm here arriving 5am at JFK.
Then I am taking a train up to princeton and probably spending the entire day/night there....

Coming back Sat Morning from Princeton probably going to check into the hotel...

And then I am departing 8pm on Sunday from JFK

If you are going "down" to Princeton it would have been better to come into Newark or even Philadelphia. But that don't matter now. Remember hotels usually don’t let you check in until at least after 3 PM on the night you are staying. Not sure what rail line you are taking but you probably will pass through Newark so you can stay there when coming back and be by mass transit to get into the city.

Let me know what you want to do and see here in the short time you have and I can help you out. Bring your new DSLR and I can take you to this spot:

Taken with my little pocket Sony DSC-T9
721003341_184b4e465b_b.jpg

Yea the DSLR is coming on the trip as well...

Newark was an option but I couldn't devide up the flights without losing a bunch of money or making it a flight without a stop.

Love that pic BTW!

Steve! That pic is taken in Weehawken isn't it? My Dad's house was on King Ave. just a block or two from the park where I think you took that picture. His house was on the Palisades so THAT was the view from his back yard! I grew up just sown the street in Union City.

Steve! That pic is taken in Weehawken isn't it? My Dad's house was on King Ave. just a block or two from the park where I think you took that picture. His house was on the Palisades so THAT was the view from his back yard! I grew up just sown the street in Union City.

Yes that is from the park in Weehawken, best view of NYC. Union City? I did not know you were Cuban. :D

Max let me know if you need any help with anything, you have a few options. You don't have much time so you should pick a few things you want to do in NYC. It is very crowded that time of year.
If you want to see the Statue of Liberty then stay at the hotel in Jersey City and I think the light rail goes to Liberty Park in Jersey City and you can get the boat from there or take the foot bridge to Elis Island. . The Statue is a lot closer to NJ and it is a lot less less crowded then getting the boat from NYC with all the tourist.

Also if you stay in NJ you MUST go see the giant teardrop 9/11 Memorial in Bayonne facing Manhattan. It was a gift from Russia and is probably one of the least known 9/11 memorials, very few people outside that area even know of it's existence.

1618.jpg

Back