getting car fixed after an accident

Mike P

c:enter
Staff member
Paid Member
Ok my wife was driving down the road the other day and someone pulled right out of a business driveway right into the side of our minivan. (thank god not the Mark VIII) anyway I use Geico and they totaled it based on the damage but it really didn't look that severe to me. So being that the other driver was 100% at fault, I contacted the other company (Nationwide) and they sent someone out and decided to fix it. Only problem is that Nationwides quote came in at almost $2000 less than Geico's. Is Geico inflating theirs or Nationwide trying to scam? Nationwide said they would pay any additional if it came up. Not alot but reasonable if it took more time or they found something. The owner of the shop is confident but whomever answered the phone before told me that he doesn't think it will be enough, I don't know. does anyone have any experience with either company or this situation. I don't know what to do. the total loss will leave me in debt by almost $2000, as the car is not worth what I owe. So I prefer them to fix it.

here are some pictures

322946275_P_13.jpg

322946275_P_10.jpg

322946275_P_4.jpg

Last edited:
As you want it repaired instead of totaled, go for the repair. Nationwide will HAVE to pay whatever the extra costs are as they won't want to have to pay to total it AFTER they start repairs. Then they will owe the repair facility AND you for whatever Blue Book value is.

I have Nationwide.

In my experience, they pay.

I have heard lots of friends gripe about Geico in many different ways. I get mail offers from them all the time, but last I checked, they do not offer coverage where I live. :rolleyes:

As far as the $2000 difference... I used to manage a bodyshop and can tell you most estimates will be very close to each other but on occasion it is not unheard of for one to be very conservative on the estimate and remove and replace whole panels rather than try to repair the damaged areas. I would say from the photos, one estimator seen a repair while another estimator saw a replacement would be required.

geico has some issues if they said its totalled, that van is far from totalled , and by the looks it is a newer van, there is no way on earth that damage is more then that van is worth, if that was an 86 caravan, i'd call it totalled. seems like your insurance just wants to bail out the quick and easy way.

ots a 2001, and yes thats what I have been hearing about Geico. Thats why I am glad Nationwide agreed to fix it. And to pay for my rental until it is fixed. They gave me a 3008 Trailblazer, its not bad

WOW - talk about getting an BIG advanced copy of a NEW vehicle. A year 3000 copy!!! WOW again!! Sorry Mike...I HAD to do this!!! LOL

lol, i was in the dark on the laptop, yea its a concept car, its weird, it actually hovers

Back