Air ride conversion questions

jaygrant

Registered
Ok, I know how this is a two sided topic.....go for it, or dont. I am looking at a set of conversion struts for the front of the car. My question is, is it possible to convert only the front system to struts and leave the back with the original air ride....I wouldnt even be thinking about this, but I have access to the front conversion kit at a very good price. at this point in the game, I just want a quick fix....to make the front of the car level with the back again. I want to eventually replace the entire system with new air ride parts all at the same time, but for right now, can I use the conversion only on the front. Thanks for ANY information!

Jay

Yes, you can convert only the front to coils. I personally like all air ride but if you're going to convert to coils, I think it's a good idea to keep the rear air ride so you can adjust for loads in the trunk and back seat.

Jeremi had this in his 96 LSC and it worked great.

Also In my experience, the rear airsprings last longer than the front (both of my cars have original rear airsprings).

Look at this link and read all the info about the air ride. Read and study the solenoid mod articles. When you understand it all, you'll see that you can connect switches to open the rear solenoid valves, a switch to run the compressor, and a switch to vent the system. You only need to do the rears of course.

Link:

http://www.lincolnmarkviii.org/suspension/airsuspension1.htm

Bill.. Thanks so much. I looked at the site, and I think I am goint to try this. I definately want to be able to go back to the air ride soon, but for the price I am getting the conversion package for, I cant say no. Its a quick fix and I will be able to immediately drive the mark again.....BTW, it looks just like your green one without the chrome wheels. Thanks again for the advice

Jay

Glad to hear that you're going to give it a try. That's the advantage of the air ride, you can modify it to suit your needs.

If you're going to go back to the 4 wheel air ride, make sure that you don't cut any wires or airlines. Leave the front solenoids connected to the airlines (if you don't, you will have a massive leak and your rear setup won't work) but disconnect the wire plugs to them. I'd wrap the solenoids in plastic and wire tie them out of the way for now.

Here's a photo of my car without the chrome 20 spokes (the way it looks now for winter storage).:)

greensnow.jpg

The instructions that came with my conversion kit said if you are only convering the front, to take off the solenoid and epoxy a screw into the end of the line. Maybe that keeps pressure there, or just stops it from blowing air to "nothing", and just being a "leak".
I imagine you probably leave the height sensors attatched. I didn't read the whole thing because I was converting completely, I can look at it when I get home.

If you epoxy the end of your airlines you will have some trouble getting it back off when you put the air ride back on. The screw might damage the line too. The conversion company doesn't know that you want to go back to air ride.

The sensors are easy to disconnect, but you shouldn't really need to, if you're going to control the rear with switches anyway. You probably don't even need to disconnect the front solenoid wires either. Just wire it up for manual (switch) control only.

Back