o2 job

stevebpuffin

Registered
so i got the new o2's. going to jack the car up, put it on some stands, and go at it. a buddy of mine gave me an o2 tool, so im good there. is there any pointers you guys could give me before i tackle this? maybe a certain wrench? im changing the infamous before catalyst o2's. i have a feeling this will be fun.
steve

p.s.
if all else fails i have a mechanic buddy willing to throw em in for 30 bux, but being the man i am, i must try try try till it cant be done. plus 30 bux in my pocket is better than in his.

Last edited:
if the exhaust bolts and flanges on the cats arent all rusty, unbolt the front of the y pipe from the cats and drop it down a little, undo the bolts on the hanger thats under the tranny also, then you can get the passenger side 02 out in minutes, the driverside sucks, i had to take the 13 mm bolt out of the steering shaft near the steering shaft u-joint, then you have to force your hand up in there to get to the drivers 02. its not fun but i managed to change the driverside in about an hour start to finish, the harder part is getting the new one started. i forgot what size it was i think 13/16 i cut one of my wrenches in half and it worked perfect. have fun, if someone would have done them for me for 30, i would have gladly paid it after all the swearing i did.

edit: have fun plugging the driverside 02 plug back in to, you are going to invent new swears when you do that!

Worst O2 sensor I have ever replaced was one of the two on the 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 with a V10 the connector is actually on top of the transmission between the bell housing and the truck cab floor. Glad I have pretty dexterous hands and was able to do it with one hand by feel. This come from years of practice working inside a missile equipment section on my back and reaching around the 3rd stage rocket motor to remove assemblies.

ummmm looks like the 30 bux is gonna be spent.... screw that job. i dont have the right tools to do those freaking things. what a tight area..lol

ummmm looks like the 30 bux is gonna be spent.... screw that job. i dont have the right tools to do those freaking things. what a tight area..lol

I'm an advanced mechanic as well and I paid to have my O2's done. Since I make over $30 an hour at my job, it was just better economics to have my mechanic do it.

Jamie's advice is perfect. I did 2 on my 94, and 2 on my friend's 93 in about an hour total....of course, this was on a lift. I didnt drop the exhaust...I just reached up there and used a O2 wrench. Calif cars make life so much easier ;)

I refuse to pay someone to do something I can do myself in my spare time...to me THAT makes better economic sense. ;)

so i got the o2's installed today... best 30 bux i could have spent lol. im actually surprised on how much performance i got back. i dont know how much gas mileage i might get back since its so soon, but the powerband has returned... woohooo. WOT is WOT once again!

oh and with the time it was taking to install them i walked around and talked to some of my old buddies. this was at palm beach lincoln merc. i was looking for the best price to install my gears and posi i just bought. i got a price of 50 bux... yes 50 bux, and i told him id bring some beer aswell. i must say its nice to have old ties at a stealership. 30 bux to put in o2's and 50 bux to redo my rear end!!!!!

Last edited:
Back