progress pics of the 94 im painting.

jamies98lsc

Registered
today ( saturday ) i got the car all in primer, not im letting it dry so i can go back later and block sand it. if the temp drops anymore i cant paint it tonight, we're hovering around the 68 degree mark so i think i may wait till tomorrow, its supposed to be warmer so we'll see. i'd rather get it done tonight but i wont push it. here it is so far.

melscar001.jpg

melscar003.jpg

melscar005.jpg

melscar011.jpg

melscar013.jpg

melscar022.jpg

compared to 39 yes, but 68 is not paint friendly, i'm not complaining about the temp by any means, i love it, but paint doesnt, around 72 to 78 is ideal. now that the sun set its getting even colder. that makes it tougher for me to sand the primer too, i need to be sure its dry, and as the temp drops, the drying time slows down so i think im gonna take a little snooze and go back and sand tonight that way tomorrow all i have to do is tack cloth it and shoot the garnett red and clear and be finished finally!! i need at least one day off before christmas!!!!

no it was labor only he paid for the supplies i picked them up.it was about 700 some odd bucks for everything materials wise, primer, paint, clear, tape, paper, sand paper and D.A paper and whatever else. its all done i just put it all back together all i have left is to put the keyless entry keypad back in the door handle cuz i had to replace the driverside handle. i am so beat its not even funny. i went to my shop at 10 am yesterday and came home at 9 am this morning for a 4 hour nap then went back to unmask it and put it all back together. his wife gets her new shiny red mark back just in time for christmas!! here are a few pics, it was starting to get dark so they arent the best pics. i even restored the trunk lock cover too, what a nice guy!! i have to go back and clean up the over spray in the wheel wells but that will wait till tomorrow, i have another set of snowflakes to put on it with some nice wide brand new tires so i'll do it then.

can one of the moderators change the title of this post to 94 paint job completed or something along those lines. thanks.

melscar081.jpg

melscar100.jpg

melscar092.jpg

melscar099.jpg

melscar107.jpg

melscar106.jpg

Last edited:
Kind of hard to tell because the pictures are out of focus but there seems to be a lot of orange peel on the trunk and rear bumper as well as a lot of overspray in the wheel wells. Did you use the same paint on the bumper covers as the body work?

there is orange peel, i will have to wet sand and buff it later down the road. cant expect anyless painting a car in an open auto shop with some fans in the door. yes the paint on the bumpers is the same as the rest. the whole batch of paint had bulldog flex additive, adhesion promoter in it. the pics do look bad though due to lack of light and the wrong setting on my camera. i can never get it to take nice pics, i still dont know how to use it well, i turn it on and hit the button. the car looks great in person, 1000 x better then it did. and for what i charged him, its alot better then anyone else would have done for 600 bucks.

Mmm... a car will never be cleaner (on the outside, at least) as after a fresh paint job. One of the sexiest things I've ever seen. Excellent work!

i'm happy with it, i mean i dont do this for a living and no one ever taught me anything about body work, then again no one really taught me anything about cars, i just looked and listened as i grew up, learned a few things . the orange peel is way enhanced in that trunk picture because of the very low over cast skies we had today, i can see in the reflection the clouds, it was a gloomy day, i'll take more pics in the sun tomorrow after i change the tires on it, it needs some sun light pics for sure!

Looks great Jamie.

Did you use the tri coat paint including the magenta colored clear or did you use the pre mix?

Good job Jamie!. I can take care of all that orange peel on that car. I used to detail cars for a living back in '92-'96 or so. I used to get them right out of the paint booths and wet sand 'em just hours after being painted. Haven't done it in like 11 years but still. :eek:

I dont care what anyone has to say about orange-peel, reflection, clear coat, whatever. I DO have experience painting cars...and orange peel is better than dryness...you can go back and cut the paint, and buff it to a glass-like finish.

Jamie...I know you keep saying it looks good for $600...let me tell you something; I've seen cars come out of the booth at $2500 for labor that didnt look as good...they all had to be cut and buffed...very rarily will anyone ever see a re-paint that goes from gun to sun without being "finished".

some 1500, 3M cutting compound, finesse-it II and a waffle foam pad, and that paint will look like it rolled out of a Mercedes paint line....

very nice job. I just hope the guy you painted it for decides that even though a price was quoted, you're still allowed to accept tips.

I'd pay double that price for a job that clean, and that thorough.

one word of advice:

start taking pictures of these cars, and get them printed on photo paper, and stored in an album....you've missed your calling. You should be using your truck to haul your painting tools to a body shop that would hire you. Painters make more money that landscapers...they just get exposed to chemicals day in and day out.

whatever happens, dont let people who have seen show car paint jobs second-guess your efforts. I can tell from the pictures how nice that trunk and bumper will look when it's done....plenty of paint is better than not enough....we both know that.

I agree with Craig. I've painted a few cars in my day, and it's what you do after the paint dries that can make it a show car paint job. Very well done.

Back