Car not starting

dapears02

Registered
Ok here is the problem. Every once in a while my 97 LCS will roll over but not start, although it does eventually after keep rolling over 30-40sec. Typically my green alarm flashes, also not sure if they are related but once in a while the car will stall when coasting into a turn or when going to turn around when the you are not hitting the gas. Well i have replaced the crank and cam position sensors. I had a dealership scan it for codes while it was doing this problem and nothing came up. They also checked it has fuel press, fuel pump relay is working, it has spark, and the injectors are pulsing. Also if it doesn't start right away if you can turn the key on and off several times and eventually it will start. When is does start it runs great. Any information would be helpful

Thanks,
Darrell

Do you have another PATS key? Try that. Do you have any Bluetooth accessories mounted anywhere NEAR the ignition? If so, remove it and try again, or just remove the power from it.

No i havn't tried taking any voltage reading... not sure how that would effect it. It rolls over fine, just doesn't actual start somtimes for 30-40sec...i noticed the othere day if you turn the key on take out, put in and turn on...Repeat a few times... it will start right up. Could it be the keyswitch.?

In reading on my PATS issues, if the system doesn't recognize the key, the starter does not engage. The engine doesn't crank.

I would look at fuel or spark in your problem. When reading your post, my first thought was fuel pump. When the dealer had it, was it experiencing the problem? It would be hard to diagnose if it isn't having the problem right then, right there. When you turn the key, right before it starts, you should hear the fuel pump turn on for a couple of seconds. If you don't, then check the fuel pump.

Another thing you mentioned is that the car stalls when turning (low idle conditions), do you also have the defrost on when it stalls? If so, you might want to replace the IAC. On the 97-98s, its a real easy swap.
Good luck.

The starter is engaging, but the car is not starting. When the mechanic was working on it is was in fact causing the problem and when it was he took fuel pressure readings, spark, and injector pulsing... all seemed to be functioning properly, but yet no start. That is interesting about the defrost problem... i guess i never payed that close of attention, but i will.

Thanks

Anybody know the secret about getting the ignition switch out? I have a feeling that it might be the switch.

Thanks,
Darrell

Anybody know the secret about getting the ignition switch out? I have a feeling that it might be the switch.

Thanks,
Darrell

Once you remove all the lower plastics and the heater duct from the drivers side, you can see the ignition. I have these directions from the manual on removing the ignition cylinder:

5. Note:
The tab is located between the sensor end and an ignition switch cylinder bracket.

Depress the ignition switch lock cylinder tab and pull out the ignition switch lock cylinder.

6. Remove the ignition switch bezel.

7. Disconnect the connector.
8. Disconnect the ignition/shifter interlock cable (3F719).

1 Press the tab.

2 Release the ignition/shifter interlock cable from the pawl.
9. Remove the screws and the ignition switch.

Back