my lincolin mark viii

i have a 94 lincolin mark viii, and i wanted to convert the transmission over to a t-5 manual..... i was wondering what to do about the computer, the computer in it controls the aode in it, so what would i do about that, and is this conversion more complicated that i really think it is.... cause i know i can use mustang parts in the years around it to get the linkage and clutch pedal assembly and other parts...

you need alot more then you think, your shifter handle is gonna end up under the dash, where the climate control is, people have done it, but they needed something for the trans to relocate the shifter handle back further closer to the driver. someone made some custom box or something to pull it off, someone will chime it with the correct info, but just to slap a standard in it wont work unless you dont mind taking out your stereo and climate control so you can reach inside the dash to bang through gears!!!

cause i know i can use mustang parts in the years around it to get the linkage and clutch pedal assembly and other parts...

You need to investigate more and speculate less, The mustang pedal assemby wont work either.

most are using the T-bird Supercoupe pedal assembly because it comes from a near clone to the FN-10 platform.

The SN95 stuff wont work.

you will also need a shifter box extension.

I've seen two cars converted and both looked like "hack jobs" when they were complete.

Personally I would run a built 4r70w {these trans aren't AODE's) and have a good calibrator set up the PCM for the built tranny.

A "built and tuned" 4r70w will outSHIFT and outperform a t45 hands down... and you dont wind up with a "hacked job" on the interior either.

Next Best Thing... Manual Trans with no clutch...

Next Best Thing... Manual Trans with no clutch...

I have a tune from Aric Carrion with Injected Engineering in my xcal that "converts" a 4r70w completely over to manual shift only. Really cool if you ask me, and I do not think any of the tuners out there other than Aric and maybe JW have this.

If you leave it in third at a stop light, and the light turns green and you do not manual shift back to first, you will leave the light in third gear, and it will not change out of that gear until you move the shifter lever.

In other words, it will stay in the gear you have selected until you move the shifter lever to another gear - just like a manual trans.

Here is Aric using this manual feature in my car at the track this past summer. He ran it out to the limiter at every shift - around 7k even getting rubber on the 2-3 shift :)

SC Mark VIII at the track

Daaaaamn! Now that is impressive. So is it essentially, instead of PRND21, you're got PRN4321, or what?

And that run was even more impressive. I can honestly say that I don't think I would ever see the day when a Mark VIII spun the tires in first, second, and third! You never cease to amaze me, Mr Schultz. :)

Daaaaamn! Now that is impressive. So is it essentially, instead of PRND21, you're got PRN4321, or what?

And that run was even more impressive. I can honestly say that I don't think I would ever see the day when a Mark VIII spun the tires in first, second, and third! You never cease to amaze me, Mr Schultz. :)

I'd bet Roadboss' could burn third...

lol I got a ride in Charlie's Mark last summer, and I think he would have no trouble at all getting some going into 3rd. :cool:

Patrick, I do not know if overdrive is part of that program. I would hope not, because that would kill the transmission in no time I would think. And that kind of stuff, IMHO, is probably why JW and Aric have this tune in their back pocket, and it never became a SCT option that I know of.

In fact, I believe my Mark is the only Mark VIII anywhere that has this transmission tune. :)

Oh yeah, I forgot about Roadboss. lol

So then, I take it having 1-4 with no overdrive kinda kills your highway mileage, eh? And I might have to take a trip down Georgia and have a talk with Aric myself after a while. :D hahaha

Here is where working with your tuner pays dividends. With the torque these motors can produce under boost you have real capability to spew broken parts all over the place if the power is not applied right. All the shift points, and line pressures have been programmed by my tuner who also was respondsible for both the motor and the trans, so we know what side he is going to lean towards (Safe). That said I do not have anything other than a SCT chip with a custom tune, that he produced based on his knowledge and expertise. As far as shifting under race conditions is concerned, there is only one correct way for my setup, and that is to push OD button to off and shift lever in Drive. This whole schedule has been written for short shifts to help save parts, and I'm OK with that, and yes it will chirp em in third. With the 3:73 gears I have the car is still capable of 130 in 3rd gear. Hope this was helpful

Last edited:
Back