No Heat

Colbyd

Registered
Hey Guys I just bought a 2000 LS with 161,000kms on it,Yesterday it was -35 so went out and started my car and let it run for about 15 mins,Got in to drive to work and it was blowing cold air,the temp gauge on the dash was right where it should be but no heat.I went to the dealership and they told me i might have a bad head gasket because my rad hose didnt have pressure,I find that crazy that right off the hop he tells me its a head gasket and didnt even try anything else knowing that LS have bad thermostats,Can anyone out there help me with what might be going on??? thanks for the help.

Huh? "...a bad head gasket because my rad hose didn't have pressure." ???

Early LSs have a number of common "no heat" issues.

Thermostats, certainly.

Hoses leak.

Coolant overflow bottles leak.

Coolant caps leak. It could be as simple as that.

Belt driven water pumps (both V6 and V8) and the electric auxiliary heater water pumps on V8s go bad, causing circulation problems.

The electronic water shutoff valves to the DATC heater cores stick closed, blocking flow to the cores.

I've only ever seen one LS with head gasket problems. It was a high miler 2000 V6. Sure, you might need head gaskets, but that would be the last conclusion I would reach after all other theories have been proven wrong.

Well today at lunch i went out and ran my car agian to see and when the car idles i get no heat but when i step on the gas to like 2500rpm the heat starts to come but when i let off the gas the heat stops and the cold is back.If that helps.Also i looked under my parking spot at work and home and theres no leaks found under the car or on the ground.

No heat at idle, but it's there above 2000 RPM? That is the tell-tale symptom that your electric heater helper pump has gone bad. There's a small possibility there may be a wiring problem to it, but I doubt it. These things are really failure prone.

Ford part # 1W4Z-18D472-AA, retails for CAN$264.oo

It's mounted on the right side of your cooling fan shroud, held in place by 2 small bolts, has 2 heater hoses going to it, and a 2-wire electrical connector.

It takes about an hour to replace, but purging the air out of the cooling system afterwards is a nightmare. If you think you want to tackle this job yourself, let me know and I'll post the fill and bleed procedure.

OK so i just talked to ford and they told me that the part will take 3 days to get and it will run me $328.76,Witch sucks because I just got the car 3 days ago and it worked fine.Thanks for your help Frankie X thats awsome and yes i would love to see where the bleed and fill holes are for that car,If you can think of anything else that would help me i would really like the help and thats again,I will let you know how it works out.

Ok guys I got Electric Heater Helper Pump installed and my heat works like it was when I first got the car.Thanks for the help.

the electric auxiliary heater water pumps on V8s go bad, causing circulation problems.

I've read a lot of posts lately about auxiliary water pumps. What is the logic behind Lincoln using these in their cars? I thought the heat in my 77 Lincoln worked fine without any help from an additional water pump.

Hey, Colbyd, did you replace the factory auxiliary pump or did you simply add an additional one?

The only Ford product that uses an electric helper pump is the LS with the 3.9L, which is a derivative of Jaguar's 4.2L. This pump is a Jag thing.

We've been told it's needed primarily because of the large two-section heater core used for Dual Zone climate control.

It also has a second cool (pardon the pun) purpose: the PCM in an LS stays alive after the vehicle is shut off and continues to monitor ECT temperatures. If the engine is turned off very hot, in high ambient temperatures (after a long highway drive, for example), the helper pump will continue to run to provide coolant circulation through the stationary engine to aid in even cooldown. When the PCM sees ~ 180 degrees ECT, it shuts the pump off and puts itself to sleep.

Doesn't sound like too bad of an idea.

So other cars that have dual zone don't have this pump? Like say a Mountaineer with rear heat too?

Back