computer swap

merkurmadness

Registered
I have a 95 can I re-pin my computer plug to a 97-98 so I can use a tuner instead of having chips burned? I re-pinned my Merkur to a 88 thunderbird to get better timing w/intercooler temp drop (worked great) also got regular/ premium switch for non-race day commuting!

The 95's were EEC IV 60ish pin
The 97-98's were EEC V/obd2 with a 100 pin connector.

In short the answer is NO.. and yes.

given enough time, money and effort you could swap your car to obd2.

Lonnie at Blue Oval Chips did that to his 95.

Doubtful he would suggest anyone "follow his lead" unless they had gobs of disposable time and money.

The merkur and the 88 tbird were both EEC IV which makes the swap MUCH easier....rather than an obd1 and obd2 conversion.

Thanks for the input. I had a couple hours into the xr adding wires and swapping pin connections! How about a TWEECER type set-up ? is that possible I would like to tune on the fly with out a stand alone set-up seems too much goes thru this computer to keep the rest of the car working properly!(TWEECER's web site did'nt list my #)

if you contact Mike Glover, he's the guy that wrote the tweecer software..he'd be able to "tell you one way or another".

Mark 8's aren't listed but Mike said he "could work with them" if he had a car local to him to "try".

Tweecer is cool stuff, with the datalogging option.

Back