Will any ford 8.8 rear end fit our cars?

iowncars

Registered
I found someone with an 8.8" rear end with 3:73 gears but I want to know if it will fit our Marks. Can anyone tell me this? It comes out of a 1987-1993 Ford Mustang.

Thanks

It's not how much money you make, it's how you spend it! ~my Dad

1993 Lincoln Mark VIII
-Only one that I know of that is Bronze Nightmist Clearcoat Metallic!

RE: Will any ford 8.8 rear end fit our cars?

as long as it is 28 spline. Im pretty sure most 8.8's are 28 spline unless they came out of a truck

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
The entire rear will not fit but the internal parts will.
[/div]
Just the pumpkin. not the entire rear.

Will just the pumpkin bolt up correctly?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

1993 Lincoln Mark VIII

Isn't the 1987-1993 Ford Mustang a solid axle setup? If so, no the later model IRS housing(pumpkin) is not the same but can use the same internals(sort of).

Isn't the 1987-1993 Ford Mustang a solid axle setup? If so, no the later model IRS housing(pumpkin) is not the same but can use the same internals(sort of).
[/div]

Ok, will the 3-73 gears out of it fit our Marks? What is a good price to pay?

What is the best gearing to go with on a Supercharged street Mark VIII? 4:10 or 3-73 and why?
---------------------------------------------------------------------

1993 Lincoln Mark VIII

3.73s, maybe even 3.55s, would be better for a boosted Mark VIII due to the increased lo-end torque.

I have bought used 3.73 gears for 30-40 before. You shouldn't waist your time with used gears. Go on ebay, get some brand new Ford Racing gears, take out your pumpkin, get the gears installed by a professional that will fix it when it makes noise, reinstall pumpkin, be happy. This is the cheapest way to do things correctly without the chance of having to end up payin a lot more in the long run or having other problems. This way will probably set you back about $400. I would also consider getting a conveter first because you will save your highway gasmilage more. You can get them for $565 from edge racing.

I have no problem with used gears but you need to inspect the previous pattern on them. If they were off before they will scream.
As for the converter I wouldn't waste my time installing that junk. You want a PI triple plate or talk to Lonnie, or Bill Evanhoff about a good converter. It isn't as cheap as the edge but it will work for a long time. The edge converters are junk.
Alan

I have no problem with used gears but you need to inspect the previous pattern on them. If they were off before they will scream.As for the converter I wouldn't waste my time installing that junk. You want a PI triple plate or talk to Lonnie, or Bill Evanhoff about a good converter. It isn't as cheap as the edge but it will work for a long time. The edge converters are junk.Alan
[/div]

As are the Art Carr converters.

I have explained this many times. The edge converters are nothing more than a stock front whel drive converter such as the ones found in cavaliers. They have a very small friction and a very thin lockup piston with equally weak damper springs. The front cover is nothing more than that same converter cover with a new pilot welded onto it and a ring bolted and/or welded to it to adapt the pattern. The roller assembly has 8 rollers that are .372 wide. This accounts to a holding power of about 400ftlb's of torque. Add up that the Stall to torque ratio can be as high as 2.55:1 and you will easily exceed those limits even with a stock engine. The whole thing is a kit produced by sonnax and even the guys that produced it know it is junk.
Alan

If you a going with a twin screw SC you don't want a loose converter. A stock one will work fine. These SC's develope so much torque at the low end that you have no need to buzz the motor to get it into the torque /horsepower range. With gearing, 3:73's would be the most that would be practical for street strip. Even with DR's 1st Gear is almost a joke, shortshift to 2nd is required. 3:55 might improve this some, and be alittle easier on the cruising situation. Folks with the centrifical SC's can fill you in on the best combo for that setup.

Back