Trans Overhaul

budpytko

Registered
Has anyone here done a "back-yard" overhaul of their automatic (Mark VIII) transmission? Is it possible for a reasonably adept person to do this? As you know, I just replaced my '97 with a '98. After calling around to see if anyone would buy a rebuildable tranny and got laughed at more than once, then asking what an overhaul would cost (Then I laughed), I thought I'd at least open it up and look at it.

Mine was simply the clutch pack going bad. But if I was going to open it and replace the clutch packs, what more trouble would it be to do a complete overhaul?

Even if I open it and decide I don't have the knowledge, I can still get the salvage price on the thing, so I wouldn't be loosing anything. I wouldn't buy parts until I opened it and checked it out.

I know I should get a number of responses.....hit me!

Last edited:
I think the TOCCA site had a movie on how to rebuild. The most important thing about this kind of operation is cleanliness and completeness as there are alot of parts that go into automatics. I know Mad1stGen did one not too long ago. I did a C6 some years ago. I know you will need some snap ring pliers and gear pullers, and an engine stand (ala transmission stand) would be of benefit as well. I have the video around here somewhere em me if you can't find it on the net and I will try to get it to you. Do able project just need to take your time and get quality parts as well.

Thanks for the link Jeremi....nothing ventured, nothing gained. Tranny going in shed today...can't start until we're back from our Alaskan cruise. Leaving Sunday, be back on the 3rd. Both ventures are gonna be fun!

Shawn, come on down!!! But not until after the 4th....I got one under the porch...we can tear it up and see if we can FIX it!

I just rebuilt mine. it was eassier than I thought. I can offer some advice get the lip seal protectors It will make life easier. and get the atsg book. If you need any more help just let me know.

Back