Fuel Gauge Lighting

Tigerdadgc

Registered
Just bought a beautiful 96 Mark VIII and the only thing that annoys me is the gas gauge appears to have a bulb out. I know it is trivial but I like my stuff to work. Do I have to pull the Inst panel to fix or should I just leave it alone? Inst panels don't always go back in like they came out. Any suggestions would be great!

Mike

I done a search and found this...

Tools:
9/32 socket/driver
T-15 torque
Stubby phillips

1.) Remove small dash cover on the left side, behind light/dimmer switch. It pops off, but be VERY careful after it's popped off. You have to reach behind and remove the lighting bulb.

2.) Remove the two screws under that cover, that secure the dash cover. Note: there are four 9/32 screws here. Two hold the light assembly. Go ahead and remove those as well and let it dangle.

3.) Now there are two phillips screws up above the instrument cluster, hidden in the bezel. This is where a stubby phillips driver comes into play (I used a 1/4" socket for a nice 90 degree angle at it).

4.) Once those two screws are out, the rest of the bezel is secured in with clips. Just wiggle something under it and pry it out (be careful not to crack the bezel, the sucker is tough though!). Yes, you will need to pop it loose from the center warning display and vents.

5.) Remove the four 9/32 screws securing the instrument cluster to the dash (they are black).

6.) Now comes the finess part. I was able to remove the cluster by tilting the top portion forward, almost a full 90 degrees. This will allow you to get to the connector (only one big one) on the back of the cluster. Squeeze it and remove it.

Once the connector is loose, I was able to slide the cluster out to the right, leaving the connector kind of dangling in the same place.

Back