Tranny Dipstick Tube

budpytko

Registered
Does anyone know if the dipstick tube for the tranny can be removed to replace the "o" ring easily? The new tranny I installed has a drip and it looks like it's the dang dipsticktube "o" ring.

Yes....a long extension, and a 13MM wobbly socket will remove the bolt on the back of the right cylinder head. I recommend doing this with ONLY the front of the car in the air or you'll be losing a ton of fluid.

I was smart Jesse, I installed a drain plug in the pan before we re-installed the new trany! I can drain some out and do it. Glad to hear I can get to it. I couldn't even SEE it yesterday when I crawled under there to see when the oil was coming from.....

I will say its a pain! If you put the front on ramps, you shouldn't lose any fluid, so don't drain out too much if you go that route.

Yes....a long extension, and a 13MM wobbly socket will remove the bolt on the back of the right cylinder head. I recommend doing this with ONLY the front of the car in the air or you'll be losing a ton of fluid.

Jesse...are you SURE it's a 13mm and not an 11?? I can SEE the dang bolt, but I can't get a wrench OR socket on it. I was able to put an 11 mm 1/4 drive socket on it, but then couldn't get the rachet on the socket to turn it!
(And I keep getting hit in the face with falling objects!!! LOL Sockets-wrenches etc) Doing this in the driveway on ramps...son is working weird hours at gas/electric.

I loosened the header pipes and got enought room to be able to SEE it, but I just can not get anything on it to turn the bolt. Son is coming over this evening with more (and different) wrenches.

J said "easy"

Bud said "son has a lift" (well the words he will be using RHYMES with "son has a lift")

Both aren't far off..lol

it's a PITA job!

LOL! Whatever...I know there IS a 13mm back there....I guess I was thinking of the rear heater pipe to cylinder head bolt. Sorry!

Hey, I GOT your sorry!!!!!! Jamie's got your 6 bro......

It IS finally done. What we found was a bent tube!!! Luckily, I still had the one from the '97 still in the shed! Also the dang bolt and threads of the drain plug we put in stripped (POT METAL!!). So good thing I had a large enough drain pan under it. Pulled the pan, re-drilled and retapped with a one size larger bolt....good to go.

You guys told me how to get the dang thing OFF, but never said anything about how much fun it is re-installing it!!!!! But, it is done...8 lousy hours for 1 bolt. My son says, is EVERYTHING this difficult on a Lincoln! He said it was much easier shoehorning the V8 in his Fiero......LOL

You guys told me how to get the dang thing OFF, but never said anything about how much fun it is re-installing it!!!!! LOL

Luckily "I" had the 99lb Tiffany with very small hands to "start the bolt" back in the hole.
And she was small enough to get her arm behind the cylinder head.

+1 for 99LB girlfriends!!!
Every "tool box" should have one.

...and NO she isn't part of our "rent-a-tool" program
*LMAO*

.....OH!!! So I don't even have to sign a blank VISA receipt....she's FREE?????

Seriously, I finally stuck the bolt into a socket with Teflon (pipe thread tape) inside (it held it tight). My son did the aiming while I was able to hold the tube (believe it or not) from above!!! Then with the 1/2 mile of 1/4" drive extensions, it went right in!!!!

Back