running rich

7 sek mark

Registered
for some reason my car is running super rich like bad enough that its leaving black stains on the bumper. that looks bad and im sure if its that rich the car cant be running very well. i dont have any cats on my car so all the unburnt fuel is coming out the back. i do have cold nitrous spark plugs in my car right now could that be my whole prob or do you think its more than that?

If you get a good tune, they will take out ALOT of the extra fuel the factory puts into the mark 8.

The af ratio at WOT at 5500 RPM's is 10.6:1

ya i have a extra maf that i thought about throwing on it to see if it makes a difference. i have not checked my plugs in a while but i bet since they are 2 steps colder than stock i bet that are looking pretty bad. its to the point now that if the car is not all the way up to temp and a romp on it it stumbles and falls on its face for just a sec then it picks up.

correct me if im wrong but the correct way to clean the maf wires is with electronics spray only right?

Yup, NON-FILMING electric parts cleaner. Spray lots and it dries quick so you dont have to wait for it to dry up. Just dont touch the wires with anything other than the spray.

I only use MAF cleaner! You can pick it up from your local NAPA.

Attachments

• 05110.jpg
    05110.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 0
I love the "proven to gain 4-10 HP to the wheel" statement. This must be the cheapest mod for the money. How is this different from brake cleaner?

Brake cleaner and carb cleaner are too hard on the sensor and can actually eat away at the material. This stuff is specifically made for your MAF. I am not backing them by them saying it makes 4-10hp but if your MAF was really dirty (like over oiling your K&N and it gunks up the MAF), i can see how it would make a 4-10hp difference. If you MAF is really dirty you will get bad gas mileage and your car does not run right. It wont magically make it better, but it helps clean it so it works like it did from the factory helping your gas mileage at the same time. I have used it several times on different vehicles and have been very happy with the results!

Well, if you have access to a scan tool, check the readings on your MAF. If you don't, but have a spare MAF sensor, I'd also try that if the spray doesn't work. Sometimes you can spray them down to no avail. What's the mileage on the car and are you using a filter that takes cleaning oil? The MAFs are known to get contaminated from that over time.

Running rich is usually because of the MAF, but it can also be a TPS or other things. The best way to go about this is to look at each of the load-determining sensors, starting with the one that receives the most priority in the PCM (the MAF), and then move on to the next. If the MAF cleaning/replacement doesn't work, you're definitely going to want a scan tool.

yes i do have a "wet" filter and now that i think about it it did start running bad shortley after i put that on the car. that might be it i have a stock maf and i also have a ported out stock maf that i might try. i figure the ported maf would let in more air the the computer thinks it is getting and might lean it out a little bit.

yes i do have a "wet" filter and now that i think about it it did start running bad shortley after i put that on the car. that might be it i have a stock maf and i also have a ported out stock maf that i might try. i figure the ported maf would let in more air the the computer thinks it is getting and might lean it out a little bit.

If it started after putting a "wet" filter (such as K&N) in your car then im willing to bet your MAF got oil on it and is causing it to run rich. Clean the MAF very well, it should help.

Back