overdrive delete not working?

cfcjr

Registered
The delete function no longer works and I can not lock out overdrive in the city. Any suggestions?

The Gen 1's sometimes break the wire down by the shifter. I'm not sure if this is a problem in the Gen 2's though.

What year is your car?

Mine was not working on my 93. I took the shifter out and found the broken wire. I soldered it, and heat shrink wrapped it for more protection. Works great now:D

9 times out of 10 its a broken wire coming out of the shifter, and bill, second gen's dont have wires like the first gens, there is a plastic strip that slides into the shifter handle with metal contacts on it so they dont have this problem. most likely all you need to do is take the shifter handle off and solder the broken wire and you'll be good to go.

ok....thanks guys...good info. the car is a 94 non LSC

next question........
i removed the shifter bezel and can now see the actual shifter mounts. do i need to actually unbolt the whole shifter assembly or maybe just the shifter handle itself??
if it's just the handle i don't see how it is attached. i'm sure i could figure it out but i would rather know in advance so as not to break anything!
(note) i can see a few little solder balls floating around down near the mount, so i'm assuming someone has done this before!

I've got a question about that, too... you said that second gens don't have wires? Is there any other "common breaking point" for the overdrive button on second gens? I'm wondering because my overdrive button doesn't work on my '97, and I'd really like to fix it. haha

next question........
i removed the shifter bezel and can now see the actual shifter mounts. do i need to actually unbolt the whole shifter assembly or maybe just the shifter handle itself??
if it's just the handle i don't see how it is attached. i'm sure i could figure it out but i would rather know in advance so as not to break anything!
(note) i can see a few little solder balls floating around down near the mount, so i'm assuming someone has done this before!

You remove the shifter handle.

Shift Knob

Removal

1. Remove O/D lockout switch using a small screwdriver and gently prying between switch housing and knob assembly.

2. Remove retaining clip from shift knob.

3. Hold shift knob securely and depress release button.

4. Pull up on shift knob.

My wire was broke under the shifter. I repaired it by removing the console and soldering it with the shifter in place.

sorry to bring back an old thread, but....

had surgery on arm so couldn't do much for a while...

i have removed both the od button and the thumb button with the spring behind it. i do not see a retaining clip ??? is it supposed to be a c-clip???

as always any help is greatly appreciated!!

Its at the front of the handle (facing the A/C controls), feel around and you'll notice an indention that is partially hidden under the leather. Stick a small flat head in there and pry out. The clip is shaped like a staple and will come out easily. Its easy to see if you turn the key on and shift the car into 1st gear (with the parking brake on).

Its at the front of the handle (facing the A/C controls), feel around and you'll notice an indention that is partially hidden under the leather. Stick a small flat head in there and pry out. The clip is shaped like a staple and will come out easily. Its easy to see if you turn the key on and shift the car into 1st gear (with the parking brake on).

+1 on moving the shift into 1st.. so you can see where the C Clip is located.

and +1 on the wire being broken.. it's fairly common.

You are SURE it isn't working, right? My light wasn't coming on when I pushed the button on my 93 last week. I thought it wasn't working, but it tested fine on the highway. The light started working after a few minutes and all has been fine since. It was strange!

Back