air bag conversion

spedos

Registered
Hello i recently bought a 97 mark viii im wondering if for the the long haul should i do the conversion or keep the airbags i have no problems with them but im planning on keeping this car for a long time.

Its all about how much comfort you want. If you want to keep the air ride going, make sure you buy a spider valve to keep the moisture out of the system, this will prevent failure a lot longer.

I say keep the bags for the long haul.
.. I did.

I got almost 200K out of the original bags and had just started to have a leak in the replacement bags at 400K

I think the key as "J" pointed out is a "spider valve" AND I also feel that cars that spend alot of time "sitting comfortably in garages" tend to have air ride issues.

Best suggestion I can give you is dont neglect leaking bags.
Replace them as soon as you discover them and you stand alot better chance of not killing the compressor.

Plan on replacing all of the bags and the compressor atleast once in the normal lifetime of the car.

If it were me, I'd swap out the front bags as a pair, then the rear bags as a pair then the compressor. when you replace the compressor definatley get one of eddies Spider Valves.

If you do decide to get coil/spring you have regular and lowered. I should have gotten the 1.5 lowered, but I plan on putting them in later.

Ive ordered the 18 inch saleen speedstar rims so if i did the conversion should i still get the 1.5 lowered or the regular the air bags dont bother me just want to know what to expect.

You can sensor lower the car and still keep the air ride, they will definitally help with the low profile tires.

well i sold the 97 i also have a 98 both are white with grey leather both in very very good condition but the 97 had 98xxx miles and my 98 only has 61xxx miles and i have decided to keep the air ride. thanks for the info

Back