Carlisle 2010: The Club Dinners

Rene

Lincoln Lady
I wanted to check and see what everyone thought of the club dinner locations.

I thought the Friday place had good food, but the room was crammed.

It seems like we're outgrowing the room at the Saturday place too.

I heard (I think) Sharon mention that she and Mrs Driller wanted to check into having our Saturday night dinner at the banquet hall at the Comfort Suites. I think a new location would be nice, and the parking situation would be much better as well.

So, what are your thoughts?

Well I do not know about places to eat,but I think someone should but some neon under their car and light up the show next year for the 2010 theme lol

That Saturday night place has got to go... I can't even remember the name of it that's how mediocre it is... the food is pricey for the quality, we clearly annoy the staff (and we weren't there nearly as late as last year) and trying to walk around that place is such a maze. If it hadn't been but for the reward of booze at the end, I would have had to take my own life somewhere near the third identical looking dining room... :D

I'm fairly certain we can do better... :D

:D -J

We can -- details will be coming soon. I'd like to wait for Mrs. Driller, and probably bring this up closer to next carlisle, but alternate plans have been arranged, mostly.

I wonder if the mexican place across the street is any good.

...or at least if the margaritas are any good..

There are other restaurants in town. A few within a few short blocks of the hotel. Others down Hanover a piece. I'll gladly scope some places out this summer and see what's available. I'll also ask for some recommendations from Rick Markko.

As far as the Market Cross Pub is concerned, you don't have to take the back room next year. I reserved there for Friday night during GM Carlisle for 30 people and they're giving us the front of the restaurant by the windows.

I really don't recommend the hotel's "cuisine." I ate there once last year during an ice storm and the food was barely passable. It was all cryo-pack pre-prepared and probably just microwaved up. The other problem with using the hotel catering is that everyone must pre-order and there's little leeway for extra or fewer diners. I'm sure many of you remember the problems we had at the hotel we used to stay at, how we were always rushed out of there and the last time when we had less than planned they refused a discount and we had to fight them to get the extra paid for meals as doggy bags.

Details will be forthcoming. Banquet will be at Comfort Inn Suites, and dinner will hopefully be scheduled at Gingerbread Man.

What we need in terms of Carlisle help is assuring enough parking spaces for next year.

...What we need in terms of Carlisle help is assuring enough parking spaces for next year.

I assume you're talking about space at the show right? This has been an ongoing discussion for a while. Below is the email exchange I had with the Carlisle people and it drives home how important pre-registration is. We simply never have enough and the only reason we have the space we have now is by badgering them into it!

-----------

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 10:12 AM
To: Rick Markko
Subject: Lincolns at Ford Carlisle

Hi again Rick! The Lincoln club is beginning to plan for Carlisle. I
just want to say we loved the spot we had last year and would like the
same placement but also need some extra room. If you recall we ran out
of space on the one side and had to expand across the path to an area
reserved for the newer T-Birds. This year we expect at least as many
Lincolns and more so we will need the whole row we had for Mark VIIs
and VIIIs plus about 1/4 on the other side for all other Lincolnn. Is
this going to be possible?

Thanks,
Leo

On Jan 6, 2009, at 11:08 AM, Rick Markko wrote:

Leo,

I hear what you're saying and I will try to accommodate. However, the real key is to have EVERYONE PRE-REGISTER EARLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Numbers-numbers-numbers....

The showfield is laid out based on the number of folks pre-registered. That is the only true numbers we have to work with. So, BEG those folks to get pre-registered before the cutoff date of June 8th all we all will be happy campers.

If you ned to chat please ring me up.

Thanks Leo!
Rick

We didn't even have a whole row for the VII's and VIII's because the other lincolns were using our spaces. That's part of the problem, it's not necessarily our club that's not pre-registering, it's others who don't pre-register and then park in our spots. It's a shame for the money we pay that people can't park in the group they are being judged with. I hope we find a way next year to at least reserve the spots for pre-registered people so no one takes those spots.

Well last year we kept a sharp eye on that. More than once someone tried to move the markers or park where they weren't supposed to and we had to politely but firmly ask them to move. Anyone parking not within their group and refusing to move is easily dealt with, the Carlisle people WILL make them move.

We really do need at least a row and half for all Lincolns. There's no way to reserve space for pre-registered but the key is to get there early in the day and make sure nobody moves the markers... except us of course if we need more room :D

Last edited:
I too, spoke to Rick about the spaces and he re-iterated the importance of pre-registration.

Fine. We work very diligently getting people to pre-register. If they want to allocate spaces by pre-registration then we should have the right to have reserve spaces for those who pre-register.

The "party crashers" simply should NOT be allowed to show up earlier than someone who pre-registered, then park and 'leave'.

Leo, I have a count of the cars for Saturday. There were 60 Lincolns, 10 more than last year when we had 50. Compare those numbers to the pre-registration numbers from Carlisle and we'll see the problem.

OK I have an idea as to what to do about food,you all get together and decide how much you want to spend on food for the whole weekend (breakfast,lunch and dinner) and then take up a collection and hire me to cater it next year. That way I get to come lol

Details will be forthcoming. Banquet will be at Comfort Inn Suites, and dinner will hopefully be scheduled at Gingerbread Man.

What we need in terms of Carlisle help is assuring enough parking spaces for next year.

So, you and Mrs Driller are taking care of the arrangements for Friday and Saturday, right? I just want to make sure you don't want me to set anything up. I normally do it by Christmas, because so many clubs are in town at once for the show . . . ;)

So, you and Mrs Driller are taking care of the arrangements for Friday and Saturday, right? I just want to make sure you don't want me to set anything up. I normally do it by Christmas, because so many clubs are in town at once for the show . . . ;)

Yes, we're working out the details for dinners. We want to accomodate as many people as possible at all different budgets and tastes. Like I said, we'll provide details once we've had a chance to go over some other information, which is difficult since Mrs. Driller is traveling and I haven't unpacked all my information yet. We're trying to take into consideration comments made to us during this year's event, and there are still some people I need to contact.

Yes, we're working out the details for dinners. We want to accomodate as many people as possible at all different budgets and tastes. Like I said, we'll provide details once we've had a chance to go over some other information, which is difficult since Mrs. Driller is traveling and I haven't unpacked all my information yet. We're trying to take into consideration comments made to us during this year's event, and there are still some people I need to contact.

Okee dokee ;)

A thought on the parking problem and a way to ease (not solve) it a bit. We need to have a team of at least four people willing to be parking monitors on Fri. and Sat. For Saturday we put one perosn at each end of the row and two spaced in the center. As cars enter they get told by the people at the head of the row to drive down to the person in the center who will direct them where and how to park. This way they get placed in their correct class as well as parked closer together. By keeping cars parked within the white markers in each row this assures the maximum number of cars can be parked.

You can even "secretly" hold spaces, that is, if the car entering is pre-registered LOD then you park them starting at the tent and work your way out. If not pre-registered you start them at the furthest point away from the tent. Further incentive to pre-register... closer to the beer!

This system worked perfectly for GM this weekend where we had 75 pre-registers, space for about 100 and we still had to squeeze them in but people listened and we had no problems.

Last edited:
That would also help getting the cars lined up straight.

Friday is usually not as bad as Saturday IMHO. Several people do not arrive until late Friday. Several more attend Saturday only. With the judging being held on Saturday, that is when the big crush is on. Saturday is also the worst day for traffic getting to the fairgrounds, which only compounds the problem.

and all these parking problems seem to make the food taste worse also...

if we could only solve the parking issue, meals, hotels, cops... no prob :D

:D -J

Back