Air Bag Codes? Anyone know them?

Sierra3

Registered
Heres mine. Sometimes it doesnt do it in slow traffic around town, but on highway is when it does do it constantly.
3 long orange "air bag" flashes on dash display bar followed by 4 long flashes. Then it cycles back to three flashes and so on. I'm guessing i have a code four if its like GM,where the first flashes tells you system ops fine followed by space and your code. Or a Code 34 if the first three do count.
Anyone have that list i saw floating around a while back with the codes? I checked my CD, but can't for the life of me find the codes. All it says is system operation and installation and removal blah blah.

1995 DK Blue Lincoln Mark VIII
1998 DK Blue Chevrolet 1500 P/U
2004 BLACK/Silver HONDA CBR 600RR

RE: Air Bag Codes? Anyone know them?

Jeffrey, it's flashing a two digit code: 34. This is sent out by the RCM (Restraint Control Module) when it sees TOO LOW a resistance in the circuit to (and through) the driver's air bag.

Here's the manual's definition:

NOTE: The connectors for the driver side air bag module and the air bag sliding contact have metal spring clips that act as shorting bars. These shorting bars are built into the plastic hardshell connectors. The shorting bars are designed to short Circuits 614 (GY/O) and 615 (GY/W) together when the connectors are not mated. DO NOT attempt to remove the driver side air bag shorting bar and measure the resistance of the driver side air bag.

The air bag diagnostic monitor measures the resistance across Pin C2-10, Circuit 615 (GY/W) and Pin C2-11, Circuit 614 (GY/O) every time the ignition switch is turned to RUN. Normal resistance across these circuits is between 1.5 ohm and 2.0 ohms. This resistance comes from the driver side air bag module itself (approximately 1.0 ohm) and the air bag sliding contact windings (0.25 to 0.5 ohm per winding, two windings in all). If the resistance across these two circuits is less than 0.7 ohm, the air bag diagnostic monitor will flash DTC 34.

The air bag sliding contact shorting bar may be removed to measure the air bag sliding contact resistance. Use extreme care when reinstalling the shorting bar to make sure it is installed correctly.

POSSIBLE CAUSES:

Low resistance across Pins C2-10 and C2-11 can be caused by:

A poorly mated air bag sliding contact connector not pushing the shorting bars back into their fully retracted positions.
A damaged shorting bar may short Circuits 614 (GY/O) and 615 (GY/W) together.
A short in the air bag sliding contact windings.
A short across the air bag terminals within the driver side air bag module. DO NOT attempt a direct resistance measurement of the air bag. Follow the diagnostic procedures to determine if the driver side air bag resistance is lower than normal."

Do you understand the bits about the shorting bars?

There are small spring metal bars in the connectors going directly to ANY airbag that shorts the two detonation wires together as the connector is unplugged so that the circuit is never open.

If a connector is unplugged, therefore, the code would be set.

In all my years' experience, though, ~80% of the time the short is in the sliding contact, often referred to as the clockspring. This is the circular device behind the steering wheel that allows the stationary wiring of the column to maintain contact with the rotating wheel.
I've never seen this short inside an airbag unless it's been detonated. There's always a first time, I suppose.

How do we be sure?

The RCM is expecting ~2 ohms resistance through circuits 614/615. In a Ford dealership, we jump the connector at the bottom of the column with an "Airbag Simulator" of the appropriate resistance, and if the code clears, we can then narrow it down to clockspring, column wiring, or airbag.

You can try something similar at various points in the circuit with a purchased 2ohm resistor.

A WARNING:
DO NOT
DO NOT
DO NOT
DO NOT USE AN OHMMETER TO MEASURE THE CIRCUIT WITH THE AIRBAG STILL PLUGGED IN !!!!!
YOU'LL HEAR A LOUD BANG AND YOUR CAR WILL FILL WITH WHITE DUST!

Disconnect the car's battery, wait at least 5 minutes for the RCM's capacitors to power down, and then remove the airbag from the wheel.

I've been trained by Ford to then jump the two wires coming from the clockspring to the (removed) airbag together and then do all resistance checks looking for continuity of .5 ohms or less.

Before removing anything, if you start the car and the light doesn't flash, try turning the steering wheel rapidly lock-to-lock. If this triggers the RCM to begin flashing the 34, I can almost guarantee it's the clockspring.

Keep us posted on what you find!

Wow, thanks Frankie, Thats a hell of a writeup! :eek: I'm going to check the connections first. Hopefully it is them not being all way inserted or something. I had to rewire the horn and cruise controlls to work with the Mustang wheel. I was worried about jacking up the clockspring when i R&R the airbag, but at over 115,000 miles i guess it's had it. I'll post more info tommorow after i try it. Thank you.

Did some more reading on the CD and picked up a clockspring off auction site for a good price. Well see what happens when i get it. Wouldnt that be cool if i fix the airbag AND get my cruise controll to work? lol
That top steering wheel cover that goes over the hazzard switch is a pita to get on and off. I used needle nose to hold the screw, and mini ratchet to start it into threads. Of all the snap fit pieces this car has, that one should of been a snap fit pop off piece.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Wouldnt that be cool if i fix the airbag AND get my cruise controll to work? lol
[/div]

Your cruise doesn't work???
What a valuable piece of diagnostic information that would have been!!

A clockspring RARELY goes bad and causes an airbag problem without causing another steering wheel control system failure:
-Horn
-Speed Control
-steering wheel radio controls, or
-steering wheel heater controls.

ALL wheel circuits must pass through the clockspring. It's just a question of which part of its internal ribbon broke.

Yes, it probably will be cool.

Hey I've got a 97 LSC and I'm getting a 32 code. Same deal as the 34 or what? I'm not going to tackle this myself so any advice on talking to the dealership? What is the estimated damage for having it done there? Thanks
Nothing else seems to be failing--just getting the 32 intermittingly but more often than not...

A 32 is the opposite code to a 34.

34= "driver's airbag circuit low or shorted"
32= "driver's airbag infinite resistance (open circuit)".

Consider the diagnostics almost identical; after all, we're looking for a wiring problem in exactly the same circuits.

If you're not going to tackle this yourself, tell the shop what code you're getting and if anything else in the steering column doesn't work. Don't jump the gun and just tell them to replace your clockspring. As I sit and write this , a thousand miles away from you, I predict an 85-90% chance the problem is in your clockspring, but that still leaves the possibility of associated wiring.

Being in Canada, I also can't give you exact U.S. dealership prices. Up here, we charge CAN$99.00 for the diag., CAN$140.00 to install a clockspring (if that is the problem), and the clockspring itself retails for ~CAN$120.00.

Does this help?

Thanks Frankie, i got a used clockspring from ebay dismantler for 20.00 and a nice set of black airbags 89.00 to match my steering wheel from another seller. How they shipped them to me through the mail onto a Military housing installation is still a mystery (HAZMAT explosive device) but i got them and im not ratting them out. lol
I'll be pulling it this weekend to do the switch.
Yeah i never have had Cruise controll either since i bought the car back in 2000. The lights on the buttons on steering wheel work but it never has turned on or worked. Even when the airbag used to be fine with no orange dummy light on dash.

Thanks Frankie. I'll be heading to the dealership with your advice in pocket! I'll let you know how it turns out.

Got the old Ivory bags out and new black set in. Yes Frankie was right. Clockspring was shot. Got the new clockspring in and made sure to wind it correctly and go back 2 3/4 turn to the arrow like the directions said. I didnt take the car out yet to see if cruise works or not but going from lock to lock on steering wheel at idle produced no dreaded orange warning light. So at least that prob is fixed.
Still have to hunt fuses for the cruise conrtoll and the horn under the hood, but thats for tommorow. Heres some pics of a black set of airbags i got off the auction site to replace the Ivory ones. I like the looks of the black ones better.
You can see the front dash is taken out too. The last piece to be Oven cleaned, sanded, and shot with the satin black the doors are shot with.

http://www.lincolnsclub.org/forum/user_files/1457.jpg

http://www.lincolnsclub.org/forum/user_files/1458.jpg

The Lincoln dealership here in PC FL bagged me for $275 labor to replace the clockspring. The part cost $75. I had the foresight to order it on Monday so it was on the premises for the repair today; otherwise I'd be without my car for an extra day. So LOD advice saved me from that headache. Taking my first long highway cruise to Nawluns Thursday night...can't wait.

Back