Window Tint

mlschultz

Registered
I decided to get the Mark's windows tinted, and have a appointment next Wednesday for the window tint company to come over to the house and install. I am looking for opinions as to what tint to use. The company uses Diamond brand tint. Here is a link to see what they offer.

http://www.hotspottinting.com/selection.htm

Georgia law is 32% +- 3% for side and rear windows, and also materials to be applied to the windows that increase the level of light reflected to more than 20 percent.

I am not looking for limo type tint, but would like to have UV protection, and to help cool the cabin as much as possible without law enforcement telling me that my vision is obscured, or for them to even think I am close to 32%. I want the same % tint all the way around.

The three most common tints they use are:

Radiant - Charcoal color
Brilliant - Bluish-gray
Marquise - All-metal film and is slightly reflective in dim light and more of a gray in intense light

It is a toss-up between radiant and marquise for me at the moment. What do you guys think? Also, does anyone know the factory tint percentage for the Mark VIII? The GA law is based on the net amount of 32% +-3% through a tint meter they place on your window, not just the aftermarket tint film % by itself. Thanks. :)

RE: Window Tint

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
... Also, does anyone know the factory tint percentage for the Mark VIII? The GA law is based on the net amount of 32% +-3% through a tint meter they place on your window, not just the aftermarket tint film % by itself. Thanks. :)
[/div]

WV law read 35% APPLIED and even required the installer to use small stickers in the corner of each tinted window certifying the number. I told the installer to install the maximum legal tint allowed, and they installed 35%. The next year someone at the state inspection pulled out a Visible Light Transmission(VLT)meter and measured 27%!! ::wtf::

Little did I know the factory windows are lightly tinted. That calculates out to approximately 77% VLT from the factory. The VLT measurement on the untinted windshield was 78% as I recall.

Sounds to me like you need 40-45% VLT film to be legal. The installer should be able to verify this before the install. Also make sure the reflectivity limits are not exceeded.

I was told the factory tint % is printed on each window. I checked, and each side, and rear window says DOT 75 - and that seems to be in line with what you said, JP. I suppose that would be 75% tint then. That would leave my choice of tint at the 50% value. If I did the math correctly, with 50% tint, the net amount should be 37.5%, if the Mark actually does come from the factory with 75% tint. I am not sure how to factor the reflective limits without some type of measuring tool though.

I asked the tint shop if they use a tint meter, and they replied no. I hope they know what they are doing, because there are stiff fines for installing illegal tint in GA. I like the marquise tint, but need to see a sample on the car, and it needs to go well with the tinted glass roof.

I like the Marquise tint. I have no idea on %'s though. When I went to my usual place and got mine tinted, I just said I wanted something that would look good and not be too overdone, and it was up to them. Of course they knew me and had a good idea of what I like/don't like.

The factory solar tint on the Mark VIII works very well offers UV protection. I have a black interior and I don't die when I get in the summer. I had another car with black interior before, I had to use a white towel in the summer for the seats so as not to get burned, and I could barley touch the steering wheel when I got in.

Using metallic tints may interfere with things like, GPS, electronic toll passes, and radar detectors.

Good point, Steve. I use a radar detector, and was planning on a double din DVD/NAV system one day. And what about cel phones? When I spoke with the shop owner, she asked if I listened to AM radio alot when I was asking about the marquise metal tint. LOL, I have never used the AM radio in the Mark, or my cassette deck for that matter. I will check into it further. Thanks.

The Mark, even with the ivory interior, heats up quick here in GA. (remember my melted dancing hula girl on the package shelf from a couple years ago?) ;( During the summer, max A/C is used quite frequently to keep it cool.

Thanks All :) . I like the look, and the only thing I have to get use to is the double polarization when wearing my prescription sun glasses. The tint gals did a real good job - except they left the ignition on for a couple hours and drained the battery, so I had to push it out of the garage to jump start it.

The gal assured me the 35% tint is legal, and I have nothing to worry about. Nobody has ever come back to her saying they got a ticket using the 35% tint.

LOL, Sharon. Remember when Art use to give me a hard time with the Hula Girl? I thought he was going to start a anti-hula girl movement :)

http://www.hawaiicity.com/shopping/ukuleles/images/leilanidoll.jpg

Ahhh, Mike. I think deep down Art loved Hula Girl as much as we did.

Back