Wiring differences on JBL amplifiers

billcu

Head Moderator
Staff member
I needed a new JBL amp for my red Mark. I talked to a car recycler and he told me that the 93 and 94 model years were the same but they changed some plugs in the 95 through the 98 years.

I got a 93 amp (thanks Driller) and a 97 amp (thanks Jeremi) and thought I'd compare them in case anyone needs to do this in the future.

Here's a photo of the 93 amp (top) and the 97 amp (bottom)

http://www.mark8.org/users/billcu/jbl.jpg

The first plug on the left is for the tweeters. These look the same on both amps.

The second plug is for, what the 94 manual calls, the front and rear radio speakers. These are different on both amps.

The third plug is for the phone. These are different on both amps.

The fourth plug is for the door radio speakers. These look the same on both amps.

It looks like the only plug that would have to be changed between the two amps would be the second plug (unless of course you are still using the phone). Both plugs have eight pins.

I would need the 97 wiring pinouts to wire the plug and make sure that the other plugs are in fact wired the same.

Of course I will just plug in the 93 amp for now, but if it goes bad in the future, I'll be wiring in the 97 amp when I get a plug to fit.

In case some people didn't know, JBL stands for James B. Lansing who also was part of the Altec/Lansing speaker company.

Thanks again guys.

Back