Battery light flickers???

jrm94mark8

Registered
I have a 94 Mark8.
I recently noticed that my battery light flickers from time to time. It comes and goes with nt real pattern. To me it seems like something is loose b/c it goes on and off when I drive. Just wondering if anyone has seen this or has any ideas? Battery, terminals?

Thanks-

RE: Battery light flickers???

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Just wondering if anyone has seen this or has any ideas?
[/div]

Oh, yeah, we've all seen this. It's such a common problem it hurts.

There's a humorous saying among Lincoln mechanics about Mark VIIIs:
"If you go out to your Mark in the morning and it's sitting level, and if you make it to work without your fuel pump or alternator crapping out, you're having a good day!"

We can talk in circles about loose connections at the battery or alternator, and I suppose it's possible that might be YOUR problem, but based upon numerous past experiences, when the charging system warning light starts to flicker or stays on, it usually ends up being the alternator.

Thanks. I've luckily not had too many probs with mine. I also don't put a ton of miles on it. I'm leaning towards a loose connection at the battery or alt so I guess I'll start there. The alternator was replaced within the last 2 years and I put about 4K miles a year on the car so I'd be surprised if it was that.

Thanks!!

If it was a decent quality alternator you may be right.

Be sure to check the regulator connector at the back of the alternator. It's not uncommon to find corrosion on the pins there, particularily in a vehicle that sits for long periods. Use a spray contact cleaner and silicone di-electric paste to keep moisture out.

'94 Merc Sable had the same problem.. thought it was the alternator, but turned out to be a loose connector on the Alternator. Saved me $$. Give it a try.

mark

Back