Aftermarket ASC Sunroof wiring

M8SHOSCGUY

Registered
I have my ASC sunroof out to be re-lubricated and cleaned out. I've heard that it will auto close if you leave the vehicle. It has two power wires (red and orange), but it won't work unless both power wires are connected to +12V. My wiring has been kludged at the fuse panel (as in fuse removed, wire inserted, fuse re-installed).. This is the same previous owner that removed the Check Engine Bulb. Question is how do I wire up power? Apparently one connects to interior lights or somewhere else to trigger the auto close feature. Of course the Ford Factory manual includes nothing about the ASC sunroof, and the ASC website has zilch as well. Any help?

Thanks!

mark

RE: Aftermarket ASC Sunroof wiring

Try this:
1) Hook both wires to 12v, and then open the sunroof.
2) Disconnect one of the wires.

If the sunroof closes, the wire that is still attached requires constant power and the wire in your hand needs to be connected to run/accessory power. If nothing happens, repeat 1 and 2 but remove the other wire. This time the sunroof should close. If the sunroof still doesn't close you may have other problems with it.

Once you determine which wire requires constant power and which requires run/accessory power, it's just a matter of finding somewhere to hook them up.

Also keep in mind that if the button labeled ASC lights up red, the sunroof will stay in the same position when you turn off the car. If it glows green, it will stay in its current position.

P.S. I don't know how many models ASC makes, so I'm assuming that yours is similar to mine with regard to how the buttons work (ASC, OPEN, CLOSE, VENT)

Thanks Jeff.. Yes, I have the same ASC model as you. It appears that I need to clean off the motor commutator and brushes.. sometimes I have to hit the switches several times before it takes off, and I can see a commutator "spark" through one of the vent holes. Probably grease on the commutator, or I have one of the bearing adjustments too tight. The control box on the back is very complicated inside.. all surface mount, like 3 chips, a relay, and a large transistor. It appears that the relay clicks to switch motor direction when excessive (stall) current is sensed. Probably confuses the direction due to binding in the mechanism. I tried what you recommend (one hot, one accessory, disconnecting one at a time etc.), and couldn't get it to work right per your explaination. Hopefully a motor clean out, and more friction analysis will solve the problem.
Thanks again!
mark

I went and took a look at my fuse panel, and whoever installed my sunroof also did the cram and jam method (cram the wire in, then jam the fuse back in) that you described.

The red wire was in fuse #12 and the orange wire was in fuse #14.

I don't know if this is the best way to do it, but it has worked for the four years I have owned the car anyway.

HaHa.. must have been the approved dealer wiring install method. You wouldn't believe the kludged headliner install. That's a "Do Over" on mine. Hopefully they did your headliner better.

mark

Back