Rattle/Vibration sound

Smithcraft

Registered
Hello there!

My Mark recently started making an annoying rattling/vibration sound from 40mph to, well it doesn't stop but it varies with speed.

It seems to be coming from the back drivers side/rear seat window area.

The only thing that seems consistent is that it starts around 40mph. Otherwise, it isn't consistent with speed. It one minute it might be quieter, and then get louder. I can't seem to determine any relation to what is causing it.

Oh, and it doesn't do it when it's raining, or recently rained.

SC

RE: Rattle/Vibration sound

I wonder about that, but the moulding on the rear quarter window is still good. Although the trim moulding on the rear window is brittle and cracking.

I've tried to see if anything is loose enough to notice, but it's starting to really drive me crazy.

If I can get rid of this, then it means no more road trips in this car, which means it's an expensive daily driver. :(

SC

You are going to need a helper that can search while you are driving (or the other way around.) Right now, you cannot be sure the noise is inside or not. Once you have a firm location, that's 90% of solving the problem.

Yeah, that's going to be the hard part.

I was hoping that this might be one of the common maladies that these cars suffer from.

SC

For future reference, for those looking for a similar issue...

It was the molding around the rear window, which had split along the ridge in the molding in a twelve inch section. I just pulled it off, and it looks kinda odd, but it isn't driving me crazy anymore!

SC

Back