Replacing positive and ground cables

ViiiKiller

Registered
Hi,

Has anybody ever replaced the positive and ground cables in their Mark Viiis? If so, is it easy and straight forward or a real pain in the butt? I need to buy some jack stands so I can look under my car. My positive cables seems to be very corroded beyond the plastic cover. Thank you!

RE: Replacing positive and ground cables

I have not actually changed them, but I did investigate it at one time. The positive will not be too bad, but access at the starter is limited. But the ground cable connection to the lower block will be a real pain. After looking at mine, without an exotic combo of universals and extensions, I could not see getting to the ground connection point.

Well, I just replaced the positive cable with a 2 gauge cable(56" was the perfect length)and overall, it wasn't too difficult. The hardest part was bending those hold down clamps that Ford loves to use on the cables, to release them. Routing was quite easy and straightforward. John, you're right about the ground cable, there is very limited access. I could not find my deep 15mm socket so I didn't get around to doing it. I'll just wait and do it on a lift instead, it'll be so much easier.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
John, you're right about the ground cable, there is very limited access. I could not find my deep 15mm socket so I didn't get around to doing it. I'll just wait and do it on a lift instead, it'll be so much easier.
[/div]

Yeah, having a lift makes a lot of things easier, especially finding tools. Nothing worse than having to get up from a creeper then back down(multiple times) to get the right tool just to use it while laying on your back - of course, with a light that never seems to be in the right place either.

Back