Seat Stuck - probably short

Trixie

Staff member
Sorry this is so long.

Just as we were leaving WFC, my seat was stuck and wouldn't move. JP & Jay and John checked it out and found a blown fuse.

Went to the gas station across the street and replaced it. All was well.

The Kid and I stopped for dinner about 60 or so miles out of St. Louis and I tilted the seat up to get something out of the back seat, and it stopped working again.

The Kid bought an extra fuse at the prior gas station, so after dinner he tried to replace it, but it blew immediately. This time it was all the way forward, and I just barely fit to drive around looking for more fuses which no one has til we found an all night Walmart.

Fuses still kept blowing. So we spent the night in Lincoln, IL (I thought it might make my baby happy), and looked for a short in the morning but the kid couldn't find anything. He tried using the fuse panel on the inside of hte car to route power or something from somewhere else so we could at least move the seat back but no luck.

At one point it actually sounded like the seat should have moved, so now we're worried that the motor or something may have burned out?

Anyway, any ideas or suggestions or anything is appreciated.

RE: Seat Stuck - probably short

Go under the seat and disconnect the power connector. Then try another fuse. If the fuse blows, the problem is in the switch panel (on the door of your car?) If the fuse does not blow, check wiring under the seat. If the motor has a seperate connector, disconnect and try the fuse test again. If it blows again, check real good for a frayed wire under there. It may easier to remove the seat from the car to get access (depending on your tools.)

If the fuse blows without trying to move the seat, there is a switch short. If it blows when you try to move the seat, then it is the motor or the wiring under the seat.

If it is the motor or you can't find the short, you might be able to loosen the motor to allow manual movement of the seat. That is a WAG, cause I've never looked under there myself....

Good luck.

Thanks Jerry!

We'll look further into it tomorrow, we're too tired tonight.

Well, get this. Now that it's been sitting at home, first thing was try the fuse and it works just fine!

I have a feeling this is going to be a PITA to track down. The Kid thinks there must be some short in the engine compartment area.

I told the Kid to look for a harness short in the passenger compartment where the harness crosses from the driver's side to the passenger side. I've heard of a probable cause for a short there but never in the engine compartment. But it could actually be nearly anywhere. I would systematically follow Jerry's suggestions to narrow it down.

Hey, at least now that you have 2 Marks, you can have one down temporarily. ;)

I'm not sure what makes him think it's in the engine compartment, but it might be when he was trying to cross the power over inside the car?

Taking Hubby's car is kind of a pain until I find out why the alarm keeps going off when I use it. ::wtf::

Back