Moroso trunk mounted battery

RE: Moroso trunk mounted battery

I would of liked to have it up ahead of right rear tire like others i have seen in here previously had it set up. But without a slide out tray type mount where i could get to the battery to change it, it wasnt a workable way to do it for me. Maybe in the future ill get a locking tab slide tray and put it up there under the speaker tray like i want it. But for now it's mounted on the right rear 1/4 panel shelf.

1995 DK Blue Lincoln Mark VIII
1998 DK Blue Chevrolet 1500 P/U

http://www.lincolnsclub.org/forum/user_files/1515.jpg

http://www.lincolnsclub.org/forum/user_files/1516.jpg

http://www.lincolnsclub.org/forum/user_files/1517.jpg

Could you have mounted it on it's side so that the battery slides out towards the rear of the car? You would need an Optima or equivalent battery that can be used in any orientation. This way you could have put it towards the back of the trunk like you wanted.

Yeah, I eventually want to get an Optima in there because it's lighter and can be mounted sideways. i got my eye on some really nice slide hinges at Lowes for heavy shelving. Just have to get a nice flat tray welded up to bolt the box onto. Then it can slide back over the spare tire hole for servicing, and slide and lock back in with some type of locking pin setup.
I want it up against the back seat wall "ahead of right rear" like on Ponyfreaks car. But the way this one mounts with two pieces of all thread and nuts with holdown bracket, it would be a nightmare to maintain it and unbolt it tucked all way up in there. I guess i could always do the servicing from inside the car via pop the rear seat two bolts. Comes out quick.

I will milk this one out till it needs new battery. The alternator is first on the upgrade list. Its only putting out 12.75 and it used to hit around 13.93V - 14.00V or so. i get a check engine light at idle in gear, and when you accellerate, the checkengine light goes away. This alt does not have long to live. I'm running a 130 AMP Cobra one, but will be upgrading to a 200 amp unit soon from Lonnie at Blue Oval.

Did they run the cabling thru the firewall for ya, or underneath the car and entered thru the trunk farther back?

I'm a bit ignorant about this... so what is the reason for mounting a battery in the trunk?

1996 Mark VIII LSC

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
I'm a bit ignorant about this... so what is the reason for mounting a battery in the trunk?1996 Mark VIII LSC
[/div]

We all have our own reasons, but the prime reason is better weight distribution. Putting the battery as far back as possible helps shift the center of balance, which is better for cornering (Jeff, I know your battery would be more out of the way tucked under the rear shelf, but I think you get a better weight distribution where you have it). Don't know it it helps for drag racing, tho.

As for me, besides the weight distribution, I think it would make room for a place to hang my dual remote oil filters. The jury's still out on that one, as I haven't studied the area enough yet to see how feasible it is.

Did they run the cabling thru the firewall for ya, or underneath the car and entered thru the trunk farther back?
[/div]

No, i had them do it all from underneath. Only holes that were drilled were in the trunk area. I didnt want holes in the firewall. Both cables went back to the stock factory locations and mounts via the standoffs. I got into it in the driveway halfway through and then backed out and brought it to them cause they have the lift and would be way easier running the wires through the rails than me crawling under there with floorjack and stands.
Its a good location for drag racing, but i really wanted in up closer to back seat cause i still do some aggressive cornering with the car and you can feel the extra weight back there now. It's not as bad with the bigger ADDCOs swaybars im runnning, but yes, you can feel it back there in rear corner.
It definately makes a difference in weight transfer now as my nose comes way up now every shift. That thing weighs like 25 pounds or more. I had the same setup in my 1979 Trans Am that ran flat 12's in 1/4. Only with the TA, I used a trunk mounted ground and one positive cable running to the front.

[div class="dcquote"][strong] Only with the TA, I used a trunk mounted ground and one positive cable running to the front.
[/div]

Other than the advantage of not having to run a 2nd wire to the front, can anyone out there tell me the pros/cons of running only the pos to the front & grounding the other to the rear?

Would grounding straight to the engine block be a better deal electrically, or doesn't it matter?

[div class="dcquote"][strong] Only with the TA, I used a trunk mounted ground and one positive cable running to the front.[/div]Other than the advantage of not having to run a 2nd wire to the front, can anyone out there tell me the pros/cons of running only the pos to the front & grounding the other to the rear?Would grounding straight to the engine block be a better deal electrically, or doesn't it matter?
[/div]

Depends on the installer. Since electricity will take the path of least resistance, it's the resistance that were really talking about here, not the install point. I checked both ways with a digital voltmeter for ground and resistance. I personnaly felt that a solid sealed cable running 15 feet is better in a race/resistance for electricity than a along side a wandering chassis that does not travel in a straight path but wanders around from high and low resistance areas. You could do both wires and still put an extra ground to the trunk area for redundancy if you feel it is needed.

Would grounding straight to the engine block be a better deal electrically, or doesn't it matter?

Both, you still have the engine ground, and more importantly the chassis ground for all the power things to work that use the chassis as ground. All we did is move the battery cell itself for weight relocation. All factory mounting terminations and points are the same due to the standoff terminals in front. One wire still to the frame, and one wire still goes to the engine block from front. I have talked to a number of different people on this and I think its just personnal preferance I think. Both serve as good grounds depending on the install.

I'm a bit ignorant about this... so what is the reason for mounting a battery in the trunk?1996 Mark VIII LSC
[/div]

When a car launches off line it twists from counterrotation of the engine taking weight off right rear tire and planting the left rear more. If you remove weight from the front of car, the front rises faster transferring its weight to the rear and planting the tires into the asphalt harder. Putting weight over the right rear gives a little More weight over that tire planting that one more that is trying to lift and spin. Not much, but its better than putting it on the left that is already digging in good.
I'm sure someone else can explain unsprung weight and shocks on here alot better than i can, so i will wait till they see this thread and share with us about it.
Here is two very good links to read. Most of the reading will be about solid axle cars with leaf springs, but the twist and lift of front end and weight transfer is the same.
Also our pinions are bolted to the chassis or frame and don't transfer weight from side to side like the old leaf spring solid axle setups. They just squat and transfer weight that way.
Our real battle is wheelhop. I didnt notice mine as the regular street tires never had enough traction to make a hop, but with the MT ET streets, i did get wheelhop last time at the track.
What we need really are some adjustable rebound front springs with click dials on top of each shock and the same for the rear so we can dial them in at the track. Also needed is the ability to isolate each airbag and lock it and independantly adjust each bags pressure. Either by manual air nozle fitting at the track or a nice computer controlled digital gauge with four readouts and electronicly regulated solenoids to be controlled inside the car at will. This should be available once the factory automatic setting is turned off.

That and only that way i think will we be truly able to "dial in" our independant rear suspensions setups. Now a prayer goes out to the aftermarket gods in hopes they are listening. :eek:

http://www.lincolnsclub.org/forum/user_files/1568.txt

http://www.lincolnsclub.org/forum/user_files/1569.txt

This was copied directly off how stuff works website for the unsprung weight thing. If it is too large, moderators please delete at will.

Check out the beauty of suspension at the last page from BOSE. Now only if we had LEM's instead of our airbags we could controll and "tune" them and rebound dampening to our liking with a laptop at the track like a SCT chip is made. Wonder what new car is going to get them first?

http://www.lincolnsclub.org/forum/user_files/1570.txt

Well done, Jeff.

After I thought about it, I realized shifting the weight aft would help in drag racing, but I didn't realize to what extent until after I read your posts.

Thanks for the knowledge.........

Back