Car stuck in park

Alexander

Well-known
Paid Member
My 1998 Mark VIII was behaving well until last night when after I started it up, it refused to get out of Park. the button on the shifter would not depress.

A friend noticed that there were no rear brake lights. I fond out that fuse number 32 which controls the brake position switch and the brake pressure switch was blown. Replacing that fuse resulted in it being blown instantly when the brake as depressed.

I disconnected the ballast of the rear taillight, and I was able to get it out of park. No I have brake lights but no parking lights in the rear.

Is it just the rear light ballast that needs to be replaced or is it a bigger problem?

Alexander
Board of Directors
Lincolns of Distinction

RE: Car stuck in park

Disconnecting the ballast shouldn't effect the quarter panel lights. I've seen many 2nd Gens with the neon light out but the rest working fine.

Was the neon light working if you turned the lights on?

No, the headlights were on, but the rear parking lights and the neon light were off when the problem first arose.

Alexander
Board of Directors
Lincolns of Distinction

I don't have access here at home to the '98 EVTM, but my instinct tells me you may have a bad ground.

Check the wire harness in the trunk and follow to the ground point. Look for a broken ground wire(black) or corroded ground point. Check for continuity to ground from the ground wires for all rear lights including the ballast for the neon tail-lamp.

Back