Found A/C leak. Trying to track down part to replace,

jrm94mark8

Registered
My A/C has been out for a while and with summer about here I charged the system yesterday. I also added some dye hopping to find where the leak was. It didn't take long to locate and I didn't even need the dye because the leak as so loud. There is a piece of tubing that is heavily rusted and looks like I can simply replace the section of tubing. It's the first connection to the high side service port/valve. There is a sensor right near the connection. It's near the left side of the radiator and the tube goes down and attaches at the conpressor (I think). I've looked online at Fast Parts Network but without a pic, I'm just not sure. Liquid line, suction line?

Any input greatly appreciated.

thanks

RE: Found A/C leak. Trying to track down part to replace,

My AC still works, but I know what you mean about rusted Lines. Same thing happened on my daughters '94 sable, the new manifold assembly cost $225 from Advance Auto parts. That foam insulation stuff just keeps the tubes water soaked and rusting away. Major sections of the steel tubing were completely gone. On the MK8, I tore it all off, wirebrushed all the tubing, and soaked it in the stuff that turns rust black. Then I painted it with Rustoleum Flat Black. Hopefully I caught it in time. You should be able to find the entire manifold assembly new somewhere, otherwise possibly splice it with compression fittings. There are pictures in the shop manual. Assuming your's is a Gen 1, there is one assembly that bolts to the compressor and has both refrigerant lines attached. It's called "Compressor Manifold Assembly". If I knew how, I'd paste it here, but it comes out all wierd. Be sure to get the right connector release tools, and replace all the O-Rings you remove. Once the refrigerant is gone, you have to evacuate it. Put a heat gun on the dryer while under vacuum to get any moisture collected there out. My daughters AC is still working fine one year later.

mark

I have the CD ROM tech manual for the car. I checked a diagram and looks like the part is the "A/C Compressor to Condenser Discharge Line (part # 19972)." I need to open the hood again and verify. Not familiar with the Compressor Manifold ass but will give FPN a call to see. Might be better to swap the whole thing like you said. Thanks for the info.

JRM

Just talked to Five Star Ford. The Mainifold Assembly you mentioned was put on later model cars. When I look in my tech service manual, there's no mention of it?? Maybe it was just sold as aftermarket? The part I thinkn I need is $260.00...ouch!!

At no point have you bothered to mention what year your car is.

That might be an important piece of information when trying to find the correct part!

Duh, sorry about that. Guess that is kind of importtant. Like my name says, it's a 1994. Thanks for the heads up and any info.

JRM

No, It's my turn say, "Duh, sorry about that!"

Thanks for putting me in my place, Bud!

Jay, I'll talk to my parts guys tomorrow and get you a part number.

Jay, it is the discharge line. 19972 is the correct basic.

One end of this assembly goes to the condensor near the air cleaner and the other goes to the small manifold on the top of the compressor. It has the high side service port and, right next to that, is the high pressure cutout switch (the sensor you mentioned).

Engineering part number: F3LY-19972-A
Catalogue part number: YF 2404

Any parts department will be able to find it by either number.
It retails up here for $CAN 362.00, which means you'll get it in the States for less than half that. (Grrr, don't get me started about Canadian parts pricing policy).

Both ends use Ford's quick connect spring couplings. You'll need the special spring release tools, but that's not a problem; they're readily available at most automotive stores as a kit containing all four sizes for ~ $15.00.

One last thing: this line has a small accumulator in it. This is not the receiver/dryer-- that's by the firewall. Ford's shop manuals recommend you pour ~1oz. of R134/PAG oil into the line with a small funnel before installation to make up for what's held in the old line's accumulator. If that hose has been leaking as badly as you described, a further ounce to make up for any oil that blew out with the refrigerant wouldn't hurt.

Hope this helps.

Be cool!

Hey Frankie. Thanks a bunch for all the info. I hope to tackle this in the next week or 2. Will post back with the results.

JRM

THe manuals also have a proceedure to clean a used connection using fine emery cloth. Never use sandpaper no matter how small. You do not want sand in your system, so don't use it. You use the cloth rolled just below the size of the female connector and turn it in the opposite way it is rolled so it would open to the correct size. You will also have to clean everything up and make sure the connection is really clean and no rust is left You then also replace the "O" rings on the male portion. Place a thin layer of R-134a oil on both parts and push them back together You must then use the proper vacuum pump and charging directions to get your system back working. If it can be cleaned, that is something you can do. But be very careful if there is any refrigerent left in the system.

Thanks for all the advice fellas. I installed the new discharge line yesterday and that's all it took. Man...it's been 2 years w/o A/C and I was shivering in no time. The Mark's have great A/C.

Now shocks and that anoying check engine light..

jrm

Back