Random Question 98 to 2000 or so Town Cars

MindyMark

Registered
While casually browsing Craiglist I've noticed a number of 98 to 2000 or so town cars that have already had the engine replaced around 80k to 120k....this is way below the average life span of the 4.6. Was there something wrong with some 4.6's from that year or just a lot of people out there abusing Town Cars?

I'd say I've run across at least 15 or 20 I've seen around the KC metro that have had the engine replaced already.

Prob a lot of TC owners that didn't know ---- about cars /engines and replaced the engines cause someone told them to......

Well I have a 1998 Crown Vic with the same anemic 4.6 SOHC. The reason why they live so long is because they have so litter power per displacement. 200 hp!!! out of 4.6 L!

Anyhoo I am at 225k miles, and the engine is ticking along just fine.

I am guessing some kind of operator error there. These engines do have intake manifold problems though, I replaced mine for $200 perhaps that is what they are incorrectly referring to.

I had a '97 Merc G.M. and it too needed the new intake manifold but was replaced under a recall or warranty not long after we purchased it. It had about 200,000 on it when the boss replaced it...that's when I retired.... he bought a Dodge Charger to replace a Gran Marquis!!! It didn't!!! And the fuel mileage was better on the road (where I spent most of it's mileage)than the Charger. Had to rip out the back seat to get anywhere NEAR what the GM carried in just the trunk!

Back