Erratic Air conditioning and Heating blower

joemark8

Registered
I have a 98 Mark Basic Model with 73,500 on the odo. The other day I parked my car for about 15 minutes and upon reentry got nothing out of the HVAC system. No blower - no nothing. The next day it suddenly came on. Again today it would not blow anything - then all of a sudden came on. It must be the blower motor that is failing - what do you think? How expensive of a job would this be in the Phila area to be done by a Ford dealer. Any help truly appreciated.:(

RE: Erratic Air conditioning and Heating blower

I had a similar problem with my blower motor on my '98 snd it turned out that water was getting into the car through the seal between the outside air intake and the blower assembly or the heater A/C housing. It's a common problem with the seal on these cars. They leak and you will find the water on the floor on the passenger's side. I never used that side, so I did not know.
It turned out that the blower controller module is mounted upside down on the bottom of the blower motor and the water would get into the module and make the blower motor work intermittently. It did not matter if it was raining out at the time, but I guess it rained and leaked into it. I removed the module, took out the PC board and brushed rubber cement on the top of the circuit board, which happens to be the foil side of the board. Once I did this and returned everything back to the car, it has worked for the past 3 years now.
If you look at the picture above, you'll find the blower module right at the opening of the I/P glove box, but a '97 and '98 has the motor armature facing up and the module is mounted below the motor. When I opened up the module, I found a layer of water on the foil. I used a hair dryer to dry it completely before I brushed the rubber cement on.
Since the numbers on the components are not standard, it does not matter if you cannot remove them for service since you can't trase the component.

RE: Erratic Air conditioning and Heating blower

I am a little off where the module is located. It is toward the front of the car up behind the blower motor, but still laid out flat. The cables are the same and the old module can be put into a Gen2 vehicle, although it is a little large. From personal experience, it will mount and work just fine in a Gen2 vehicle.

Back