Neon Tail Light Ballast

Alexander

Well-known
Paid Member
My neon tail light ballast burned out on my 1998 Mark VIII Collector's Edition. First insult is that the ballast is not sold separately, and the complete unit costs $740. The second insult is that the unit is not available in any color. The is no parts for this. It is only eight years old. I no trouble get parts for my 47 year old Thunderbird.

What do other owners do with this problem?

Alexander
Board of Directors
Lincolns of Distinction

RE: Neon Tail Light Ballast

Wow, there is an option. Thanks.

Alexander
Board of Directors
Lincolns of Distinction

I ordered the neon ballast and installed it. It a good kit and considerably less expensive than replacing the whole taillight assembly, if you could get from Ford. It was pretty straightforward installation, but time consuming considering you need to take out all the old rivets and re-splice all the wires. Next time around, I think I would splice the wires for the high voltage wires at a different point than I did.

The bolts that hold on the neon tail- light are extremely fragile. I broke four of them taking the light out, and I did not force it.

I lost in the recesses of the trunk one of the acorn nuts that hold the tail light. If someone has an extra one, Let me know, I will buy it from you.

Alexander
Board of Directors
Lincolns of Distinction

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
The second insult is that the unit is not available in any color. The is no parts for this. It is only eight years old. I no trouble get parts for my 47 year old Thunderbird.
[/div]

I've been told that by law, vehicle manufacturers must be able to provide spare parts for cars for at least ten years.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]The second insult is that the unit is not available in any color. The is no parts for this. It is only eight years old. I no trouble get parts for my 47 year old Thunderbird.[/div]I've been told that by law, vehicle manufacturers must be able to provide spare parts for cars for at least ten years.
[/div]

You were misinformed.

They do have to support the emissions equipment, though.

Thanks Jeremi!

Alexander
Board of Directors
Lincolns of Distinction

Jeremi is a great guy. I received the acorn nuts today. I no longer need to worry my tail light with its new ballast will drop off the car. Thanks!

Alexander
Board of Directors
Lincolns of Distinction

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII Center Tail Light

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII Center Tail Light

Has anyone here had success in seperating the 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII Center Tail Light housing from the lens witout damaging the lens? I need to seperate mine because the light is not working and there is visual water damage on the inside. I want to open the housing up in order to inspect it and hopefully refurbish or clean it. Can anyone here be of assistance? It would be GREATLY appreciated.

Wirelessly posted (motorola "slow-assed" droid: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG83G) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

We needed a 5 year old thread resurrected for this? Why not make a new thread? And to answer your question, yes its been seperated, search around alittle, I don't think the neon has been repaired though, I've seen leds replaced inside.

Last edited:
Com'on Mike, give the guy a break...it's his FIRST post! He may have NEVER even posted on any forum before...let him learn the rules first! Hell of a welcome.

Mr Extreme, as Mike said, it HAS been done before but not successfully to repair the neon. That moisture you see is prob NOT moisture either.... if it looks black, like mold, it's just the inside of the lens flaking.

If it hasn't blown the fuse yet and the neon doesn't come on, try this.

Wait till it's dark out and have someone either hit the brake pedal or flip on the parking lights. Look REAL CLOSE at the drivers side left edge for a flicker of neon lighting. If you DO see it, it is a bad ballast in your truck lid, just right of center. A guy called glitch sells an aftermarket ballast that works fine and is not difficult to replace. I'll look up his email and put it in in a bit.......

here it is: glitchm@hotmail.com

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted (motorola "slow-assed" droid: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG83G) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

budpytko said:
Com'on Mike, give the guy a break...it's his FIRST post! He may have NEVER even posted on any forum before...let him learn the rules first! Hell of a welcome.

Mr Extreme, as Mike said, it HAS been done before but not successfully to repair the neon. That moisture you see is prob NOT moisture either.... if it looks black, like mold, it's just the inside of the lens flaking.

If it hasn't blown the fuse yet and the neon doesn't come on, try this.

Wait till it's dark out and have someone either hit the brake pedal or flip on the parking lights. Look REAL CLOSE at the drivers side left edge for a flicker of neon lighting. If you DO see it, it is a bad ballast in your truck lid, just right of center. A guy called glitch sells an aftermarket ballast that works fine and is not difficult to replace. I'll look up his email and put it in in a bit.......

here it is: glitchm@hotmail.com

Right, so I shouldn't say start a new thread, but at least I didn't give him info he didn't need. ;) thanks for the lesson bud

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I need to do that neon flicker test on the Evergreen. Thanks Bud for the info....again. :)

Back